Monday, June 29, 2015

June 29th, 2015 That's What I'm Doing

June 29th, 2015 That's What I'm Doing

My original plan was to add a few hundred calories each day, to start. Going from 1,700 calories to 2,000 calories seemed reasonable. A trusted adviser (I'm incredibly blessed to have a few who have been along this road much longer than I) cautioned me to scale it back a touch and try it out for three weeks at 1,800. Increasing 100 calories at a time. That's what I'm doing. 

Conducting these three week calorie level "experiments," if you will, might be fun. I have the time. I have the rest of my life to find my maintenance groove. 

And honestly, I might lose more weight during these personal studies. And that's okay. If I gain weight, that's okay, too.

The things I shall not compromise: My abstinence from sugar. My commitment to daily tracking in MFP. My accountability live-tweet Twitter stream. My daily activity in regards to giving and receiving support. My commitment to working out on a regular basis. My commitment to daily posting on this blog. If I continuing holding all of those things in the highest regard--the top of my 'importance level,' the sacred level where things are non-negotiable, then I'm free to try new things with calorie levels, foods (that fall within my boundaries) and different exercise/fitness avenues.

You might not think 100 calories a day is a big enough increase. And honestly, I didn't either--and it might not be, we'll see.

Here's the deal: I do not argue with people who have over two decades of successful weight loss maintenance and recovery. I value their insights and experience and I'm completely blessed and fortunate when they share their wisdom with me.

Believe it or not, I do stop writing and speaking long enough to simply read, watch, listen and absorb the wisdom of others who have gone before me and who are still going remarkably strong.

I have a lot to learn. I've learned a bunch, yes. But still--the learning never stops along this road. And if I ever get smug and start believing there's nothing left to learn, that will be Day 1 of a tragic twist in trajectory.

Today was good and busy. I knew what I was getting into when I signed on for this play. It's half the time of a normal rehearsal schedule--so no complaints. I had rehearsal tonight after my support group conference call. The two events were right next to one another in my calendar. This required me to get creative.

I decided to get a dinner together and take it with me, dining in the parking lot of the theater, in my car and participating in the conference call from 6 to 7pm while sitting mere steps from the doors leading to rehearsal at 7pm. It worked out well! It took some planning, but I made it work tonight.

I did get a small (198) activity calorie adjustment from Fitbit today. I made today a rest day from intentional exercise.

My Tweets Today:
























Thank you for reading and your continued support,
Strength,
Sean

11 comments:

  1. When I reached my goal with Weight Watchers way back in 2003, they instructed me to do something like this. For either three or six weeks (I honestly can't remember) I was adding a few points here and there and seeing what would happen. As it turned out, I hardly changed anything and just continued to do what I had been doing.

    I'm looking forward to seeing how this works for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caron, you're one of those long term maintainers I look up to! It feels good to know that my advised approach rang similar with yours! That's a very positive thing! Thank you!

      Delete
  2. ".....Still going remarkably strong." I too respect those people (Geri Helms!) and aspire to join that exclusive club of longtime and lifetime maintainers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Dupster--me too! Whenever I've resisted some of the basic elements the long time maintainers share in common--it's always turned out to be something I go on to embrace and believe 100% in, later. It just took a while for me to come around and realize, what I was doing wasn't working--what they're doing is working...maybe I should watch, listen and learn...I try to remember this daily. I have faith we'll both get there, Dup!

      Delete
  3. Most doctors recommend pregnant women add only an additional 300 calories per day for a healthy pregnancy-- so I think 100 calories is a good place to start.

    One thing I noticed about your list of "non compromise" core actions: you have very specific goals, including daily posting, tweeting, giving and receiving support, etc. Regarding exercise, however, you only committed to working out on a "regular basis," which seems a bit "floppy" when compared to your other, iron-clad goals. Do long term weight loss maintainers commit to more specific exercise?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, A. If I'm still losing consistently, then I'll bump it up again. It'll be fine!
      You're right--the exercise "language" is a little floppy, indeed. I could be afraid of committing to something and then not following through.
      I would really like to have a trainer work with me on the weight lifting. Haven't done that yet. I would really like to develop a regular routine that includes swimming. Haven't done that yet. I would really like to --and would benefit greatly be getting back to Yoga...I'd like to get a pair of running shoes made for my feet and learn how to run--like, really run.
      I suppose I'm not being specific because I don't know what direction to take--and I take the non-negotiable stuff very seriously---so I'm careful not to say something is non-negotiable if it isn't.
      Exercise must be a regular part of my life--and I see myself continuing to make it fun, whatever it is. That's always been what's helped me stay consistent in what I do for exercise-- the fun factor. Or--perhaps I'm full of excuses!!!
      No, really-- I'm willing to explore my exercise options--just not yet willing to nail down specifics aside from my iron-clad decision to make exercise a part of my life, for the rest of it.

      Delete
  4. Sean, you have been such a great example and I think you can add a cookbook to your list of future writing with projects some of your pictures of simple, cooktop meals. Your cooking can encourage men who think they can't cook for themselves.
    I met my goal weight! I also use MyFitnessPal App. As it turned out maintaining my current consumption maintains my weight. At 130 pounds I only need 1200 calories. Obviously, to get the nutrition I need and keep the calories down, there is no room for refined sugar. I do take vitamin E and C supplements and a multivitamin with my lunch.
    We will keep on keeping it off. A big cheer for all of us here who keep the faith and never give up!!!
    Megan in Texas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Megan, thank you--I'll take the cookbook suggestion as a very nice compliment!
      Congrats on GOAL weight!!!!!!!
      And more importantly--congrats on having your head in maintenance mode and continuing the elements of your groove!! Never give up, is right! Thank you, Megan. And wow--congrats again!

      Delete
  5. It sounds like you have a winning plan to find your maintenance groove. I'm still trying to find the right calories to consume for weight loss. I'll keep trying until I get it right. Kudos to you for the great time management today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LTR, I will proceed with measured caution, for sure--I'll not declare victory--I'll promise you that! Victory will come each day as long as I'm taking extraordinary care of the fundamental rest of my life elements. If I do those-- and hold them sacred--I have the best chance.
      Thank you for the kudos! And Kudos to you for never giving up!

      Delete
  6. Great Post!!!
    Now a days losing weight is not a big deal. You can lose your weight easily and quickly by using Pure Life Cleanse. This is the best natural weight loss supplement. Pure Life Cleanse is so easy to take, that purifying and detoxifying your body with Pure Life Cleanse is an absolute breeze.

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. Thank you for your support!






Copyright © 2008-2020 Sean A. Anderson

The Daily Diary of a Winning Loser. All rights reserved.