Saturday, November 5, 2016

November 5th, 2016 Right Back Down

November 5th, 2016 Right Back Down

Today was exceptional. I had friends come from out of town for lunch and sightseeing. I was their guide--and truly, it was a pleasure. I needed a different day and today was different!

I took my guests to the historic Marland Mansion, the late 1920's home of legendary oilman and former Oklahoma Governor E.W. Marland. We explored the entire 3-story mansion. Whenever I'm doing something like this, it never passes without me considering the degree of difficulty it would have been at my heaviest. Breezing up and down stairs wasn't an issue in the slightest. This physical freedom is one small part of the many reasons I make it important to take extraordinary care each day. Keeping a perspective of gratitude is key for me.

A day like today would have been a very different experience at my heaviest.

First thing--I would have worried about whether or not I could fit comfortably in the restaurant seating. Instead of wrestling with the seat belt in front of my guests, I would've gone without wearing it and hoped nobody noticed. I never bought an extender for my vehicle and at 500 pounds, the seatbelt simply didn't fit. Today, I can't imagine getting into the car without buckling up. Traveling sans seatbelt was the norm for me back in the day. I wouldn't have been able to so freely make my way about that three-story mansion. In fact, I probably wouldn't have suggested such a tour back in those days.

All of these worries--the preoccupied thoughts at over 500 pounds, would have kept me from being fully present with my friends and ultimately, it would have robbed me of joy and connection. I sometimes look back and think of all the ways my obesity limited my ability to experience joy--or any emotion for that matter. Because as soon as an emotion made its way out, it was immediately met with food--and shoved right back down.

I'm grateful life isn't that way anymore.

Today: I maintained the integrity of my maintenance calorie budget. I remained abstinent from refined sugar. I exceeded my daily water goal. I enjoyed a great workout tonight. And I stayed connected with great support! It was exceptional.

Today's Accountability Live-Tweet Stream:
































Thank you for reading and your continued support,
Strength,
Sean

1 comment:

  1. Today's blog struck home with me. Freedom is the word I use most often to describe my life and how I am able to live it today. And I try never to take that freedom for granted.

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. Thank you for your support!






Copyright © 2008-2020 Sean A. Anderson

The Daily Diary of a Winning Loser. All rights reserved.