Sunday, May 3, 2020

May 3rd, 2020 A Powerful Why

May 3rd, 2020 A Powerful Why

Since our last edition: I've maintained the integrity of my food plan boundaries, I've remained refined sugar-free, I've met or exceeded my daily water goal, and I've stayed well connected with exceptional support.

As I pulled into the parade lineup at mom's nursing home, I wasn't quite emotionally prepared. There, lined up in a properly distanced way, were residents, all in wheelchairs--and holding signs: "We love you," "Thank you for coming," "We will see you again soon," "COVID-19 will not get us down," among many others. Mom was right there, soaking up the Oklahoma sunshine and holding her sign. The parade kept stopping and starting again as family members, like me, stopped for some "I love yous" and "I miss yous" directed at our loved ones.

Seeing this display, for me, and I assume anyone with a heart, brought about a wave of emotion. After two months of isolation, there they were, outside, smiling--holding messages of love and gratitude, longing for a hug, but knowing it's not allowed. What many of them may not realize yet is how this lockdown, for them, the most vulnerable, is likely to last through the summer. Two months may become five months.








I could write a book about all of the fantastic measures being practiced at Ponca Nursing and Rehab. I've witnessed a staff going above and beyond in the care they're giving residents. Considering all they must consider on top of the regular duties of their jobs, it's truly remarkable. On Wednesday, every resident and every staff member will be tested for COVID-19. I loudly applaud this move because it's a key decision in helping keep everyone there safe.

Mom loved the parade, too. She was full of smiles as I drove through and then re-entered the lineup for another pass. They're planning another parade on the 7th. I'm so glad.
 













Mom and I also enjoyed a visit through the glass recently. These visits are key for keeping spirits in a good place. We visit, then pull up the live video chats with different family members--with me translating through the glass what's being said and what mom is saying. The most important element, I believe, isn't what's being said--it's what's being seen on the screen. The smiling faces of loved ones, live, in the moment, is all that's needed, really. After we put away the video chats, we visit some more before the aids come to take her back to her room. It's always the toughest part of the visit. Every other interaction before all this was wrapped with a big hug and kiss on the cheek. Not being able to do that still feels sadly awkward, as if we no longer know how to end our visit--opting instead for all we can do; a simple "I love you," and a "we'll do this again very soon."

My recovery from strep throat and a double ear infection went well. The medication did its job. It was such a relief considering how the symptoms brought about the obvious fears of something much more serious. I'm full of gratitude for this.

After six weeks of not seeing my youngest daughter and three of my four grandkids in person, we planned a small get-together last evening. The plan was for a socially distanced visit and likely, we could have done better on that front. Irene and Allen prepared a good dinner that I was easily able to fit into my food plan. I always tell loved ones not to worry about my food plan, prepare what you plan to prepare--I will be okay and take care of the boundaries that help keep me well. It just so happened that this meal fit perfectly into my plan. Food isn't and wasn't the star of the show. 

Riding bikes with my grandson Noah is one of those things that immediately connects me with a powerful "why" of this daily practice of things I make important each day. His memories will always include me doing things like this with him- things that wouldn’t be possible under the isolating blanket of compulsive overeating/food addiction and the resulting constraints of morbid obesity. Thirty years from now, when he's describing our relationship to someone in his life, it'll include things like, "he'd come over, bring me fruit and ride bikes with me." I LOVE that thought. I can only imagine what his future memories might sound like if I were in the food and over 500 pounds.



















It was so good to see Phoebe and Oliver's smiles, too. They're both very shy but it seems they're coming out a little more all the time. The time with them and my youngest daughter was and always is precious. My heart is full as I reflect on our visit.



















I had some powerful one on one video chat time with one of my mentors, friends, and trusted advisors yesterday. One of the things he shared with me really resonated: "Intentions are often followed by more intentions. Decisions are followed by action. Are you intending or deciding?" I let that thought marinate until my consciousness was thoroughly absorbed in its powerful truth.

My morning foundational routine is complete today. I'm ready to prepare a good meal and get further along into my Sunday. I plan on a good long walk later today and another "through the glass" visit with mom this evening. Thank you for reading and your continued support. I hope and pray this post finds you well and in good spirits.


























Do you own an "I'm Choosing Change" wristband? I wear mine daily as a constant reminder of why my daily practice of things is important. For me, it's simply a daily reminder to be open, willing, mindful, to pause, and to be intentional. If I'm not those things, I get stuck at the line of least resistance and back there is where the old patterns and behaviors thrive. Your order includes priority shipping so you'll get it quickly! Here's the link to order yours right now: https://imchoosingchange.com/product/wristband/

My website shares a phone number with my podcast, Transformation Planet, and it's always available for you! Have a question? Want to share your story? Leave a voicemail or Text me! 580-491-2228 I'll text you back!

Thank you for reading and your continued support,
Practice, peace, and calm,
Sean

My website: www.imchoosingchange.com

If you're interested in connecting via social media:
I accept friend requests on MyFitnessPal. My daily food logging diary is set to public.
MFP Username: SeanAAnderson
My Twitter: SeanAAnderson
Facebook: www.facebook.com/seananderson505
Instagram: SeanAAnderson
Also--I'd love you to subscribe to my podcast Transformation Planet! You can find it in Apple Podcasts, in the Google Play store for Android, and listed wherever you find your favorite podcasts! If you haven't listened before, you'll find 20 episodes waiting for you!

Questions or comments? Send an email! transformation.road@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. Thank you for your support!






Copyright © 2008-2020 Sean A. Anderson

The Daily Diary of a Winning Loser. All rights reserved.