Saturday, July 9, 2016

July 9th, 2016 For Sport Or Therapy

July 9th, 2016 For Sport Or Therapy

This trip has been fantastic. I'm taking extraordinary care in the same way I do when I'm at home. And that, to me, is important--because what I do isn't something that takes a vacation. And I wouldn't want it to take a vacation, because my daily disciplines are a source of life and freedom I once could only dream about. Why would I want to break from something like that?

I've heard it from several directions, "Sean, you must try the pizza, the street food--the deli..." And I get it, I understand--it isn't in any way a bad thing to suggest this and it isn't a bad idea...for some people. But for me, considering my history--the departure from my food plan would potentially have disastrous consequences.

With this written, I'm certainly not opposed to trying new things as long as those new things are verified refined sugar free and as long as those things fit within my maintenance calorie budget. Those two requirements are non-negotiable for me.

This resolve of mine is strengthened by several things.

I've often discussed the importance of developing a personal plan that's sustainable long-term--refining the plan along the way to fit me like a glove, and also, allowing it to naturally evolve. That's what I've been able to do. I don't, nor have I ever forced myself to eat anything I can't stand--so what I eat, I truly enjoy, 100%. But having a food plan I enjoy is only part of what makes it easier to maintain a strong resolve. Another important factor goes much deeper than the food on my plate.

I no longer depend on food to service my emotional needs. The urge--or better, the deep seeded reactions drawing me closer to food in times of emotional or stressful situations, still exists. I simply use better tools of support when that happens. If I ever decide to go it alone, turning my back on support--I will quickly go back to that dangerous pattern.

I spent many years giving food all the attention--so much, I actually ended up missing some of the best things in life because I was constantly in search of that next indulgence. Taking the focus away from the food and back on life, has made a profound difference in most everything.

I still have a fine appreciation of great food. If you're a regular reader, you've seen how I like to prepare a plate. I love great tasting food. But now, it's different. I eat with a mindfulness that keeps me present and aware of not only what I'm eating, but why I'm eating. What I'm eating, because it must fit within the boundaries of my food plan and why I'm eating, because it mustn't be for sport or therapy. 

I took a great walk today and you were invited! Here's the Facebook LIVE video!

Kristin made it back from her conference this evening and we made our way out. Our original plan involved finding a restaurant for dinner. It became a little late for us to dine out, considering the Saturday night crowds and it was raining for the third night in a row, so we opted to simply eat something back at the hotel. We'll have much more time for dining out tomorrow night and Monday.

Today, I maintained the integrity of my maintenance calorie budget, I remained abstinent from refined sugar, I made my water goal and I participated in some really nice support exchanges. Great day!

 photo image1 3_zpsn5kk88do.jpg
Today was Mom's birthday. I talked on the phone with her a few times and left a video birthday greeting on her Facebook page. We celebrated her birthday last weekend, knowing I'd be in New York on her special day. Happy Birthday mom! This photo collection spans many many years!

Continuous Live-Tweet Stream:






























Thank you for reading and your continued support,
Strength,
Sean

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a great trip so far. What do you like most about NYC? I admire your success in improvising and being flexible enough so that you have managed to stick with your usual eating plan while staying in a hotel & being on vacation there. Your explanation of how this is possible because of how your values have changed is very helpful to me.
    Enjoy your special time with Kriten in NYC!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm catching up on your posts as I had "one of those" weeks. I've always been fascinated but have never been to New York. I went for your entire walk and thoroughly enjoyed seeing the city. Besides the girl holding the selfie stick, I would have liked to see some of these others you said were walking around holding their cell phone like you were. I believe you, just didn't see them. I'll have to do some catching up to see if you end up renting one of those city bikes. One question, when you ordered your coffee you mentioned something about a "pour over". What is that? Looks like a great trip. Thanks for sharing all that you do.

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. Thank you for your support!






Copyright © 2008-2020 Sean A. Anderson

The Daily Diary of a Winning Loser. All rights reserved.