Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Day 73 Food "Picking" and "The Chubby Chuck"

Day 73

Food “Picking” and “The Chubby Chuck”

Well here we are, Thanksgiving Eve. Tonight I'm heading to Wal-Mart to pick up some last minute items for the big dinner at mom's house. I'll start cooking the turkeys tonight, then in the morning I'll cook the ham and everything else. It'll be fun and a major accomplishment to get through unscathed. One of the biggest problems most people have is “picking” while they cook. I've been so guilty of “testing” the food while I cook. Well, you have to see if it's seasoned properly, and if it's done, or thick enough, or sweet enough, or juicy enough right? “Picking” or “tasting” or whatever you call it isn't something that a strict calorie counter can do. I plan on chewing Trident while I cook. I'll have 2500 calories to use tomorrow, and each calorie will be calculated, even the “tasting” calories. You might think this sounds a little extreme, but like I've said before I can't allow myself to cheat, not even a little bit. It's a good thing, but a little crazy thing about me. I can't count how many times I've completely self destructed because I cheated just a little bit on my calories. The honesty, the 100% solid integrity of this journey must never be compromised, because that would be the beginning of the end. I know this about myself and that's why I can't go over my calorie limit, not even on Thanksgiving! Since I'm allowing 2500 calories, it shouldn't be too hard.

I've heard a couple of people say today how they plan on stuffing themselves tomorrow. It's completely accepted, always has been. Thanksgiving is the one day a year you can absolutely pig out and nobody thinks anything of it because “it's Thanksgiving.” It's like the national over-eating holiday. I've had so much to eat on Thanksgiving before that I was literally sick. I just couldn't stop, because “it was Thanksgiving.” In fact, tomorrow will be the first Thanksgiving where I've ever practiced any self control. And I will not be deprived. I'll have stuffing and potatoes with gravy, Turkey, a roll, two kinds of pie with cool whip, and who knows what else. Have I mentioned that we're having two Thanksgiving dinners? I think I did, yep, after our dinner in Stillwater we're walking a 5k, then we're headed back home to Irene's sister's house for another big meal. Very careful calorie management is paramount to my success tomorrow. To keep track of 2500 calories, I may write everything down. I'm not a big fan of keeping calorie journals, because I just don't see the need on 1500, less paperwork the better! But 2500 is another story. Plus, if I write everything down it will be easier to recall everything tomorrow night while writing this blog. OK, I've convinced myself, I'm writing everything down tomorrow.

I was so proud of the 10 pound loss yesterday. It really felt good. Have I mentioned I weigh 438 now? I did didn't I? OK, I remember. I know that soon I will be below 400 again. That'll be a big day, then crossing into the 380's will be another big day, and I can't even imagine what it will be like to cross over into the 300's, and eventually 200's. I love this journey! After 73 days, I sometimes ask myself why I took so long to get in the right mindset. I always knew that the positive effects and rewards were part of the journey, but convincing me to claim them once and for all was nearly impossible.

Today was a great day. I finally tried a bite of a “Chubby Chuck Burger.” Recently we had to do a radio commercial for this burger, so we thought we should at least try it and see what all the hype was about. It was really good. It's a half pound, hand formed hamburger, on a toasted bun, served with a half pound of fresh cut french fries. I had Gayle cut me off a sliver of hers, and indeed it was something great! I opted for a fried chicken breast for 340 calories and a 200 calorie handful of Gayle's fries. Gayle offered to cut her Chubby Chuck in half and share, but I just didn't trust that I could make an accurate educated guess on the calories. So if you hear me raving about the Chubby Chuck on the air, you will know that I've actually tried a sliver. I sometimes wonder about what people think when they hear me talking about this weight loss blog and my results, then they hear me going on and on about Cheesecake Factory Cheesecake, or they hear me salivating over the Philly Cheesesteak Pizza from Dominos, or a giant one pound Ribeye dinner. Most know that I'm just doing my job! But it certainly sounds contradictory on the highest level!

Courtney is really wanting some cheesecake for Thanksgiving, I guess I'll let her have it. She's not really nuts about pecan pie, or any pie for that matter, but cheesecake, well that's an absolute passion with her. We'll probably pick up one of those single serving packages in the Wal-Mart bakery. I'll save my calories for the pecan pie! I love pecan pie loaded with whipped topping.

The real important thing for me to remember is that Thanksgiving doesn't have to be all about the pigging out. I'm going to make it more about the togetherness, the family, the visiting, and the giving thanks part. Lord knows I have a bunch of things to be thankful for, although some days I make the mistake of letting my daily stresses blind me from them. But at the end of the night, when all else is quiet, and it's just me and my thoughts, I can't help but to recognize them and be thankful. Have a fantastic Thanksgiving! Good night and...

Good Choices,
Sean

1 comment:

  1. I was going to tell you to allow yourself to have a cheat day, but hell why mess up the momentum. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. Thank you for your support!






Copyright © 2008-2020 Sean A. Anderson

The Daily Diary of a Winning Loser. All rights reserved.