Friday, January 10, 2020

January 10th, 2020 The Ferocious Monster

January 10th, 2020 The Ferocious Monster

Since our last edition, I've maintained the integrity of my food plan boundaries, I've remained refined sugar-free, I've met or exceeded my daily water goal, I've enjoyed some good walks and one gym elliptical trip, and I've stayed well connected with exceptional support.

You will not read any excuses or rationalizations from me concerning the space between postings here. Every couple of days is cool, this is not. I'm very careful about how I frame things. It isn't mentally healthy for me to beat myself up over it or anything. Constructive, supportive, and positive progress never starts with a clubbing.

So, I ask myself: "What is true and what can I do?" I just finished a really supportive morning foundational routine, the same as yesterday morning and each morning before. My food plan is in a great place-- I'm continuing to make sure I have what I need, when I need, and where I need. I'm consistently honoring the integrity of my plan boundaries. I'm staying connected with support each and every day, giving and receiving. I'm also giving careful consideration to the things I intend to make very important in 2020. All of those true things are things I can feel great about. A few more sit-downs with this blog each week and I can feel great about that, too.

The biggest difference for me each day is a full embrace of the dramatic role food addiction has and continues to play in my life. With this clarity comes a "recovery level" reverence. It's an enormous respect for the ferocious monster it can become if certain practices and commitments aren't honored. I'm not an expert and I certainly don't know it all, but it doesn't matter what I know or don't know, it only matters what I do.

For someone with my body chemistry, all it takes to shoot right back up the scale is a release of this perspective. My body has proven it can quickly return to four or five hundred pounds in short order. And I'm never immune to that fact. Sure, I've done things differently nutrition-wise that I truly believe has changed the way my body works, but it could quickly change back if I were to walk away from the fundamental elements of my personal recovery.

Why was it so hard to accept and fully embrace a perspective grounded in recovery principles?

Aside from the biochemical triggers keeping the addiction centers humming--and protecting itself with compulsions against any thought or action to the contrary, I think it's because we're talking about food. There's a big difference between recovery and weight loss. With recovery, weight loss becomes the side effect, not the primary focus. In my experience, if too much focus is centered on the specific plan or method with food/exercise instead of the heavily involved mental/emotional dynamics and possible (different for each of us) ruling properties of addiction in play (absolutely in my case), that's when things get crazy and temporary.

Focusing super heavy on sweepingly dramatic changes in food and exercise without giving the mental/emotional/recovery side of things proper attention is like calling a plumbing crew to clean up the mess but not repairing the busted pipe. In medical terms, it's like treating/managing the side effects/symptoms, without directly treating the issues creating them in the first place.

But how do we identify the mental/emotional things in need of our focus? It takes time and energy in the direction of a super self-honest inward exploration. This is why a simplistic approach with food and exercise, in my opinion, works well--because it creates the headspace needed to apply this greater focus. The more mental/emotional work is done, the more we're able to adjust/tweak our food and exercise along the way--and if we're fully accepting and embracing of our plan--and we've made sure it's one that fits who we are in all of our individuality, then by golly--some big changes are bound to happen in ways different from any other time.

If ever I release my embrace of this recovery level reverence, I'll quickly become lost, again.

And I really enjoy being found.

Let's stay closely connected. I'll do my part.

My morning foundational routine is complete, my food is planned for today, and I'm as ready and willing as I can be at this moment. Have an amazing Friday!

Tweets:


Instagram Accountability Postings:

















Do you own an "I'm Choosing Change" wristband? I wear mine daily as a constant reminder of why my daily practice of things is important. I'm not alone, either. This powerful message is worn on the wrists of people in a dozen states, maybe more, I haven't counted--but it's up there!! From New York to California and from Canada all the way to Scotland, they're out there! For me, it's simply a daily reminder to be open, willing, mindful, to pause, and to be intentional. If I'm not those things, I get stuck at the line of least resistance and back there is where the old patterns and behaviors thrive. Your order includes priority shipping so you'll get it quickly! Here's the link to order yours right now: https://imchoosingchange.com/product/wristband/

My website shares a phone number with my podcast, Transformation Planet, and it's always available for you! Have a question? Want to share your story? Leave a voicemail or Text me! 580-491-2228 I'll text you back!

Thank you for reading and your continued support,
Practice, peace, and calm,
Sean

My website: www.imchoosingchange.com

If you're interested in connecting via social media:
I accept friend requests on MyFitnessPal. My daily food logging diary is set to public.
MFP Username: SeanAAnderson
My Twitter: SeanAAnderson
Facebook: www.facebook.com/seananderson505
Instagram: SeanAAnderson
Also--I'd love you to subscribe to my podcast Transformation Planet! You can find it in Apple Podcasts, in the Google Play store for Android, and listed wherever you find your favorite podcasts! If you haven't listened before, you'll find 20 episodes waiting for you!

Questions or comments? Send an email! transformation.road@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. Thank you for your support!






Copyright © 2008-2020 Sean A. Anderson

The Daily Diary of a Winning Loser. All rights reserved.