Thursday, April 18, 2019

April 18th, 2019 Another Day

April 18th, 2019 Another Day

Yesterday was a 4-star day: I maintained the integrity of my calorie budget, I remained refined sugar-free, I met my daily water goal, and I stayed well connected with exceptional support.

The forecast yesterday wasn't a good one. It was billed as our first big weather event day of spring. The predicted severe weather came right on cue and completely disrupted my schedule last evening. Normally, Wednesday is a support group night for me. Fortunately, I was able to communicate with each member and reschedule our group call time for this evening. I'm grateful for that--and grateful for the storms not being too severe as they moved through our area.

A late night at the studio meant a late bedtime for me--and a short night of rest. I was able to get an hour-long nap this afternoon. Now I'm rested and ready to go for the second half of this day!

I had a good conversation with a support friend today all about emotional/stress eating and food triggers.

When I've struggled hardest it's usually something, not even food-related that's bothering me. My disease makes it all about food. If I sit down and think about it, it's usually either job, relationship, family, or some other kind of stressor or it's a frustration for what I perceive to be my own shortcomings. Also, it's often fear over things ahead even if I don't have good reason to fear- which is basically the emptiness of uncertainty. Uncertainty is a horrible one.

Something I try to frame: Whatever it is pressing on my brain, emotionally and/or mentally, it will work out better IF I maintain the integrity of my plan. In that perspective, it's difficult to believe the lie my head is trying to sell me. My head says that I need to eat off-plan and that'll help-- if I don't pause, that's what I'll go with.

If I allow a little space between the thought and the reaction, I can find the right perspective needed for positive action. We pause to act instead of reacting.

If you're like me, this is our normal- and it's why we must practice a plan each day. One of the biggest barriers to that trek, in my experience, is resentment for this fact. That resentment didn't start fading for me until I stopped doing something I didn't even realize I was doing: I was comparing myself to everyone else. I wanted to live their normal. I was constantly telling myself I wasn't normal- as if something was horribly wrong or flawed with me. I was pissed off, quite frankly, because I couldn't live with any peace and stability when I tried to assume the normal of "those people."

But... when I decided to embrace MY normal... when I decided I wasn't abnormal, I was just me, and me was okay... suddenly I felt better. I cannot live my life constantly believing there's something wrong with me. My normal requires a daily practice. And that doesn't make me bad. Much like someone with a potentially deadly disease takes their daily course of medications and/or treatments in order to maintain their wellness. Some people in a situation like that might curse to the heavens asking "why me??"

But then, there's also some of the most serene and peaceful people practicing their self-care with an embrace free of that frustration and resentment. I once asked a studio guest who was in the process of going through intensive cancer treatments, "with all your health challenges, how do you smile so much and stay so positive?" Her reply: "Because I tried the alternative and it was miserable."

We have a beautiful opportunity to embrace our individual normals and dramatically change the course of struggle into something much less powerful. We will certainly have challenging days, everyone's "normal" does, but we practice a plan to help us through another day.

Featured Tweet:


Thank you for reading and your continued support,
Practice, peace, and calm,
Sean

If you're interested in connecting via social media:
I accept friend requests on MyFitnessPal. My daily food logging diary is set to public.
MFP Username: SeanAAnderson
My Twitter: SeanAAnderson
Facebook: www.facebook.com/seananderson505
Instagram: SeanAAnderson
Also--I'd love you to subscribe to my podcast Transformation Planet! You can find it in Apple Podcasts, in the Google Play store for Android, and listed wherever you find your favorite podcasts! If you haven't listened before, you'll find 20 episodes waiting for you!

Questions or comments? Send an email! transformation.road@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. Thank you for your support!






Copyright © 2008-2020 Sean A. Anderson

The Daily Diary of a Winning Loser. All rights reserved.