Friday, November 15, 2019

November 15th, 2019 That Would Be Nice

November 15th, 2019 That Would Be Nice

Since our last edition, I've maintained the integrity of my calorie budget, I've remained refined sugar-free, I've met or exceeded my daily water goal, I've enjoyed some good walks, and I've stayed well connected with exceptional support.

Mom called me the other day--and that's not unusual, we talk on the phone at least a few times each day, but this call was different. She was enthusiastically inviting me to have dinner with her at the nursing home's annual Thanksgiving dinner for residents and families. "Of course I'll be there!" Mom is doing much better these days and seeing her excited about something is a very positive thing. I walked in and there she was at the table surrounded by other residents and staff. Mom introduced me to a few I haven't met and within minutes the staff was serving us a meal. I asked if I could make my own plate and it wasn't a problem at all. I was able to assemble a good on-plan meal. It was a late lunch for me, pushing back my dinner plans, but it was worth it, 100%.

We had a company event the other day that included all kinds of "not my food." I'm grateful for the neutrality I seem to have in situations like this. I prepared my on-plan lunch and enjoyed my food along with everyone else. The fact that I didn't eat what everyone else was eating did not, in any way, shape, or form, take away from the special occasion. I'm not opposed to eating what everyone else is eating IF it fits into my food plan boundaries, but if it doesn't, it doesn't--and sacrificing the integrity of those boundaries doesn't come cheap. The cost is dramatically high. I'd rather not pay that price.

There was a time when I'd convince myself how if I didn't eat what everyone else was eating, then it would somehow ruin things--whatever those things are...or it might be insulting to someone who might have prepared something special for the occasion. What I've discovered in this daily practice is how those old tapes were not true and largely a product of my overactive imagination--helped along by the rationalizations created by my addicted brain. Granted, there are some people who will say things like, "oh, you've got to at least take a bite of this stuff." Uh, no, thank you. If that happens and someone actually does get offended by my decline, that's their stuff, not my stuff.

It's interesting to me because if somebody says they've been sober for ten years, the typical response isn't--"oh, but you've never tried my margaritas!! Come on, just a sip?" Yet, with food, it happens.

I prepared a fantastic dinner tonight. The best part was dancing around my small kitchen with 80's pop playing through my earbuds as I casually took my time.

I have a broadcast Saturday morning from a grocery store in the next town north of here. It's the same grocery store from countless broadcasts over the years. Their advertising works well! I'm glad. It works well for me too because it's as if I'm getting paid to grocery shop. It's truly one of my favorite places to do a location broadcast.

--------------------------------------
Staying focused is a challenge for me. Certainly, there are things I've found a way to stay focused on or I wouldn't be here, but of all the things I focus on well, there are even more things that don't get the same level of attention. In an effort to change this pattern, I'm looking at the things I'm able to focus on and dissecting what makes those work. I'm hoping this personal study will help me unlock a few areas of progress important to me.

I think it starts with the importance level I subconsciously assign things in my life. My "importance level knob" seems to have two settings, "life or death" and "that would be nice." Does that make sense? From one extreme to the other--The life or death setting requires boundaries and daily practices designed to help keep me well. The that would be nice setting doesn't conjure up solid boundaries, daily practices, or action plans--because I can survive without the things attached to this setting. Not thrive, just survive.

Creating a few new settings between these two is critically important for me and my personal development.

Before I break each of my goals down into workable action plans they must receive a new importance level setting in my brain.

That would be nice is a setting best kept for things largely out of my control, like winning the lottery. Sure, that would be nice, but it isn't likely--especially since I hardly ever buy tickets. But winning, that would be nice, huh?

I have very real and important goals of mine that deserve better importance level settings. Clearly, they're not literally life or death things. But they do mean life or death for my dreams.

I don't want to reach the end of my life--laying there with my time up as family and friends stop by to visit, and I'm preoccupied with mental visits from unrealized goals and dreams that were never given a chance to flourish. "Oh, what could have been" is a phrase I don't want in my brain during my last days on this earth. I want to be full of gratitude for a life full of blessings.
More of this.





























Examining these things is a good place to find me. I'm looking at what works well and pulling some of that structure into areas of my life that need structure and importance. I'm creating new importance level settings in my brain. I'm creating action plans for real progress. I'm changing that would be nice into that is a must.

Tweets:


Social Media Accountability Post:









Do you own an "I'm Choosing Change" wristband? Here's the deal, I'm not a very good salesman. I haven't offered these consistently on this blog--yet, I have them available! I wear mine daily as a constant reminder of why my daily practice of things is important. I'm not alone, either. This powerful message is worn on the wrists of people in a dozen states, maybe more, I haven't counted--but it's up there!! From New York to California and from Canada all the way to Scotland, they're out there! For me, it's simply a daily reminder to be open, willing, mindful, to pause, and to be intentional. If I'm not those things, I get stuck at the line of least resistance and back there is where the old patterns and behaviors thrive. Your order includes priority shipping so you'll get it quickly! Here's the link to order yours right now: https://imchoosingchange.com/product/wristband/

My website shares a phone number with my podcast, Transformation Planet, and it's always available for you! Have a question? Want to share your story? Leave a voicemail or Text me! 580-491-2228 I'll text you back!

Thank you for reading and your continued support,
Practice, peace, and calm,
Sean

My website: www.imchoosingchange.com

If you're interested in connecting via social media:
I accept friend requests on MyFitnessPal. My daily food logging diary is set to public.
MFP Username: SeanAAnderson
My Twitter: SeanAAnderson
Facebook: www.facebook.com/seananderson505
Instagram: SeanAAnderson
Also--I'd love you to subscribe to my podcast Transformation Planet! You can find it in Apple Podcasts, in the Google Play store for Android, and listed wherever you find your favorite podcasts! If you haven't listened before, you'll find 20 episodes waiting for you!

Questions or comments? Send an email! transformation.road@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. You are such a good writer!! I enjoy reading your blog. I know you have helped many many people. Proud of you! Love ya, Aunt Jean

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. Thank you for your support!






Copyright © 2008-2020 Sean A. Anderson

The Daily Diary of a Winning Loser. All rights reserved.