Friday, January 3, 2020

January 3rd, 2019 Respect For The Mountain

January 3rd, 2019 Respect For The Mountain

Since our last edition, I've maintained the integrity of my food plan boundaries, I've remained refined sugar-free, I've met or exceeded my daily water goal, I've enjoyed some good walks and a gym elliptical trip, and I've stayed well connected with exceptional support.

The last decade is behind us. What an incredible decade it was! I thought about composing a huge "decade in review" type posting--but Nah, not necessary. I have made the time to look back and appreciate all of the experiences for what they taught me. The good times, the not as good times--all of them were important, delivering me to this moment right here and now. 

The biggest transformations, in my opinion, aren't the ones we can see in a side by side "before and now" picture. One of the biggest is the transformation in perspective when it comes to the struggles along the way. For a very long time in my life, I allowed the struggles to define me, picking up those experiences like a club to beat myself up, and in that--I completely failed to recognize the value of those experiences. They didn't need to define me. They were trying to teach me.

When I look back at the most challenging times of struggle in the last decade, it is met with immense gratitude for the experience. The 164-pound relapse/regain that started seven years ago and ended five and a half years ago could have gone either way: Deeper and more lost, or gratefully, where it ultimately led, toward awareness, acceptance, peace, calm, and a new kind of importance level/reverence the likes of which I thought I understood but didn't until I lived it. 

The times when things have gone incredibly well in the past decade have also taught me valuable things. Number one on its lessons list for me has been to always separate the feelings from the actions. Let me explain: If I'm feeling on top of the world, in the groove of my daily plan practice--and let's say I'm in a dressing room at a clothing store and I'm trying on things that look and feel wonderful on me....suddenly my ego and pride flare up--I'm human, right? Of course. After a few self-congratulatory selfies and all that crazy humanness, I must quickly connect with my truth. The truth is, I don't ever "got this." I'm as human and fallible as a person can be--and to top it off, I'm a food addict and compulsive overeater. This fact doesn't change. The euphoric feelings of success must always be countered by the actions found within the elements of my daily practice. No matter what kind of elaborate touchdown dance I do the night before, the next morning better find me kneeling bedside, humbly acknowledging my personal truth--and accepting the always imperfect daily practices that help keep me well.

I'm more excited than ever about 2020. What's ahead for me this year, I do believe, will be groundbreaking on many different levels. As I look at the landscape ahead of me, all areas are poised for growth--mental, emotional, spiritual, professional, and personal. Finding the balance needed for all of those things to grow together is the work. I'm open and willing and from what I've been told, that's all I need. Well, that--and a daily action plan. Yeah, let's don't forget that!!!

I'm immensely grateful for the work I get to do with the members of my private support group and with my shortlist of one on one clients. Sometimes, I doubt myself. Sometimes, I believe the negative head chatter. Today, two of my private one on one clients expressed their gratitude for the work we're doing and what they're creating for their own daily practices. It was a beautiful reminder for me to continue sharing my experiences along this road and simply be me. One client, Mere, who's been very public and open about our work together, used to call me her "guru." I quickly declined that label because I'm not a guru of any kind. (see-"as human and fallible as they come", above) Then, she started referring to me as SherpaSean. I like that. I do, because...

Sherpas guide mountain climbers up Everest. They don't do the climbing for them, they do it beside them--all the way up. Maybe it's the Sherpa that snaps the photo at the summit. My point is this: The sherpa must also take care of the fundamentals of his climbing practice or he'll die on that mountain just as easily as anyone else. The greatest gift the sherpa possesses is their enormous respect for the mountain. Most people approach the mountain and become overwhelmed by its enormity. A sherpa helps the climber develop their own step by step strategy and mostly, their perspective--and suddenly what once seemed impossible becomes possible. 

We're all on an expedition here. We've all got our own mountain to climb. No matter where you are along the way, just remember--you can do this...and all of the experiences along the way; the good, the not as good, they are simply offering incredible opportunities to learn.

I pray I never stop learning along this road.

Instagram Accountability Postings:












Do you own an "I'm Choosing Change" wristband? I wear mine daily as a constant reminder of why my daily practice of things is important. I'm not alone, either. This powerful message is worn on the wrists of people in a dozen states, maybe more, I haven't counted--but it's up there!! From New York to California and from Canada all the way to Scotland, they're out there! For me, it's simply a daily reminder to be open, willing, mindful, to pause, and to be intentional. If I'm not those things, I get stuck at the line of least resistance and back there is where the old patterns and behaviors thrive. Your order includes priority shipping so you'll get it quickly! Here's the link to order yours right now: https://imchoosingchange.com/product/wristband/

My website shares a phone number with my podcast, Transformation Planet, and it's always available for you! Have a question? Want to share your story? Leave a voicemail or Text me! 580-491-2228 I'll text you back!

Thank you for reading and your continued support,
Practice, peace, and calm,
Sean

My website: www.imchoosingchange.com

If you're interested in connecting via social media:
I accept friend requests on MyFitnessPal. My daily food logging diary is set to public.
MFP Username: SeanAAnderson
My Twitter: SeanAAnderson
Facebook: www.facebook.com/seananderson505
Instagram: SeanAAnderson
Also--I'd love you to subscribe to my podcast Transformation Planet! You can find it in Apple Podcasts, in the Google Play store for Android, and listed wherever you find your favorite podcasts! If you haven't listened before, you'll find 20 episodes waiting for you!

Questions or comments? Send an email! transformation.road@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. Thank you for your support!






Copyright © 2008-2020 Sean A. Anderson

The Daily Diary of a Winning Loser. All rights reserved.