Tuesday, November 6, 2018

November 6th, 2018 One Way Or Another

November 6th, 2018 One Way Or Another

Yesterday: I maintained the integrity of my reduced calorie budget, I remained refined sugar-free, I exceeded my daily water goal, and I stayed well connected with exceptional support.

You never know how dependent you've become on something until it's taken away. MyFitnessPal had what seems to have been a system-wide outage yesterday afternoon and evening. I didn't realize the magnitude of the problem until after driving myself nuts trying to log in. I don't normally log in with every use--it's on my phone, I pull it up, it's open and ready--simple. When I opened it up last night, I was logged out. The app was prompting me to sign in. No problem, right?

Every attempt to log in was met with the dreaded "invalid username or password" message. Then, thinking maybe I forgot the password, I did the "forgot my password" link--only to get another error message. I repeated this maddening process about twenty-seven times before I stopped. At one point I chose the "log in via Facebook" option--and that connected me to an old account I had set up just previous to the established account I've maintained every day for the past four and a half years. Streak was at zero days--nothing was in there...I about lost my mind. I logged out of that account and tried one last time to connect with my SeanAAnderson account. When that failed once again, I had to stop. I did two things at this point.

A quick search on Twitter for MyFitnessPal revealed how an entire world of MFP faithful was experiencing the same thing. Some of the manic Tweets were hilariously written--and it made me smile big, even laugh at the situation. Okay, I wasn't alone. It wasn't just me.

I also resigned myself to letting it go for the night with hopes the issue would be repaired come morning. It was. Thank goodness. The whole ordeal really made me look at how dependent I am on that app for logging my food. It was an opportunity for me to imagine; come to terms with, the idea of using a different logging method--and being okay with the lost data, if it had come to that.

The most important thing about this issue is that I keep logging my food one way or another.

I wrote down my half & half for my late afternoon coffee and my dinner ingredients--was able to log in this morning and complete yesterday's entry--and all is well, but had it not been--I still must be okay.

I was seriously stressed last night over something I couldn't control. At the same time, I had to ask myself--What can I control? The answer was-- regardless, MFP fixed or not, I will still log my food each day one way or another. I'm glad the glitch is fixed. I'm also glad I had the opportunity to give it some deeper thought.

The idea of losing a technology that helps support a fundamental element of my daily practice isn't a barrier to my daily practice. It might have been an inconvenience, but I would have found another way.

Other than that, it was a fabulous Monday! Mom wasn't feeling well last night, so we canceled our trip to see her brother on his birthday. I had another reason to make the trip, an appointment with some support friends, so I delivered his birthday card solo.

Today is poised to be a productive day. The new 8-week session of the accountability and support group I mentor starts tomorrow and Thursday. We still have two spots available in our group for this holiday filled session. If you're interested in joining our team--let me know! Send an email! transformation.road@gmail.com 

Thank you for reading and your continued support,
Strength,
Sean

No comments:

Post a Comment

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. Thank you for your support!






Copyright © 2008-2020 Sean A. Anderson

The Daily Diary of a Winning Loser. All rights reserved.