Tuesday, August 11, 2015

August 11th, 2015 Can't Complain

August 11th, 2015 Can't Complain

Today was a really good day. It was busy. I'm really tired, but I can't complain. I had a great conference call support group tonight and I made some time to work on a personal project of mine and catch up on some emails and blog comment replies.

For the most part, as far as today is concerned, I'm letting the Tweets tell the tale. I did make today a rest day from exercise. Tomorrow is the first of my new weekly weigh-ins. I look forward to sharing those results tomorrow.

Before I call it a night, I wanted to share a question/comment and reply from my Sunday post.

I've edited out the name--not that it's secret or anonymous on the original post, just as a simple courtesy.

Question from a loyal supporter:
As always your food looks nurturing, delicious, healthy. Ok so with that being said never a glass of wine or a piece of birthday cake? I know you have said would people say these things to an alcoholic trying to abstain.? I gave that some thought and with an alcoholic you can never have it again. But food you have to have it daily. I know it's all about the sugar for you. You do not feel there's ever a time when you can indulge? I don't ask any of this from a judgemental mindset but rather a curious one.

Reply:
Your question is a very natural one! I didn't eat a piece or even a bite of my daughter's wedding cake!

And it was still one of the most wonderful and memorable days of my life.

There is a common misunderstanding about food addiction when compared to other addictions. It's not necessarily all foods. It's specific substances within the foods we eat. For me, it's sugar. For some, abstaining from flour, sugar and all grains is what helps them.

I've never had a binge on carrots.

So the common phrase, "it's different with food addiction because you have to eat," really doesn't apply 100%. Yes, there is another side when we start talking about emotional and stress eating...but if we're talking about the addictive reaction, for me, it's sugar.

And knowing this about myself is wonderful information to possess. I still get to eat well. I still enjoy my food. I get a bunch of natural fruit sugar in my daily nutrition--so I still have sweetness... I just can't do refined sugar.

Because when I do, it sets my brain off like a pinball machine--and suddenly I don't want to stop.
And as I successfully abstain, I enjoy a peace and calm--like the binge switch is turned off... I feel a calmness I didn't have before and in that, I'm able to navigate my choices without too much instability.

I was very apprehensive about trying this. But now, nearly 500 days into it--I wouldn't trade this feeling for all the cake in the world. And that's what it would be. If I choose to eat cake or consume refined sugar in whatever form--It would require me to sacrifice my peace and calm. And that's too important for me to give up.

The amazing thing that happened for me was, once I gave it an honest try for 10 days or so---I was completely convinced of the benefits... and to this day it is without a doubt the single most important nutritional decision and recovery decision I've ever made. 

With all of that written-- not everyone responds to sugar the same way. Some people can eat a piece of cake occasionally and they're fine.

It's like me and alcohol. I can totally have an alcoholic drink if I want-- it doesn't affect me in the slightest, beyond whatever buzz it might create in the moment--- but friends of mine who are in recovery and hold their sobriety in the highest regard--they dare not do what I can do with alcohol...because they know, it would devastate them...and so they cling tight to their elements of recovery--because letting go would mean sacrificing the peace, calm, freedom and stability their sobriety provides.

When this level of importance is placed on something-- a sacred level--it becomes a very transformative experience-- mentally, spiritually and emotionally--- and in the case with sugar, for me, there's obvious physical benefits!

I hope that helps! 

If you think sugar might be your substance--(Additional blog add-edit: And you're trying to decide if you're really a food addict) there's a list of questions to ask yourself at www.foodaddiction.com to help identify it in you. Also--giving it (abstinence from sugar) an honest try for 10 days might be all the convincing you need! Thank you!

My Tweets Today:


























Thank you for reading and your continued support,
Strength,
Sean

7 comments:

  1. Informative as always, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, thank you!! It's a very common question and one that I asked MANY times as I tried to wrap my head around committing to my abstinence from sugar.

      Delete
  2. Excellent article! Well said !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Makes perfect sense to me. We are addicts. Forever. You have found a way to control yours Sean, and I admire you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For today I have. It's truly a day to day thing. Dupster--developing the accountability and support system in our lives is critical in my opinion. We're not alone. But if we isolate and try to go it alone, it can be insurmountable odds. I sincerely appreciate your support. The acceptance of the title of "addict" is sometimes the most difficult thing to embrace. But I'll tell ya, for me-- accepting and embracing, has been the best thing.

      Delete
  4. So wonderful that you discovered this about yourself…difficult of course, but WONDERFUL!

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. Thank you for your support!






Copyright © 2008-2020 Sean A. Anderson

The Daily Diary of a Winning Loser. All rights reserved.