Saturday, August 29, 2015

August 29th, 2015 Until Today

August 29th, 2015 Until Today

Life Coach Gerri Helms has been a positive influence on me for five years. Her weekly coaching sessions took me through the process of writing Transformation Road-My Trip To Over 500 Pounds and Back. I remember her asking, how long do you think you need to write this book? My answer was 90 days. It took a year. And she held on. Without her encouragement, I can't say for certain if I would have ever finished that project.

After the book, we continued a mutual support relationship. And when I stopped writing, stopped doing everything that worked well for me--and started slipping fast, I didn't want to hear from her.

She was a voice of truth. And in the middle of relapse/regain, I didn't want to hear the truth. She wouldn't give up on me, ever. She knew, instinctively and by experience, the struggle I was experiencing and still, despite my resistance to all things good during that time, she wouldn't let go.

I owe her persistence and genuine caring a large debt of gratitude because without her influence and teachings, I'm not so sure I'd be where I am today.

Thanks to modern technology, we've developed our relationship quite well over the last five years and work together co-facilitating our two teleconference support groups--but still, we had never met face to face. Until today.
 photo Gerri20and20me_zpst4xeh5s6.jpg
Gerri and her husband Dave made the trip to my hometown today. They're in the Oklahoma City area for a few days, so being an hour away--there was no way we were missing this opportunity. We embraced in a great big hug outside the restaurant where we agreed to meet for lunch and then proceeded to visit all afternoon. I even had the chance to show them around my hometown--taking them to where I grew up, showing them the places that mean so much to me. It was all capped with coffee and more conversation at Starbucks. It was a fantastic afternoon.

After we parted, I hit the trail at Boomer Lake for a good 5K walk/jog--and mostly brisk walk. It was 95% brisk walk because I forgot to bring my change of clothes--and these jeans are loose on me--even just walking, I had to pull them up regularly. I almost let this keep me from the exercise. I'm glad I didn't. I needed a good one today. 

I spent the evening with Mom. I planned to cook for her, but we ended up opting for dinner out. I normally don't dine out two meals in the same day, but I made a good exception tonight.
 photo a96ff44c-c16b-402c-8aaa-4dfd12237917_zpsnnbprppg.jpg
Mom is doing so well. She's walking at least five days a week and maintaining a good calorie budget--and she's losing weight. I'm excited for her and very proud of her! You can see her progress in the mother/son selfie.

I'll be seeing Gerri and Dave again tomorrow as they travel to my neck of the woods. I plan on giving them a tour of the studios where I work. We're catching up!

My Tweets Today:


























 













Thank you for reading and your continued support,
Strength,
Sean

8 comments:

  1. It is race day. 5K, no walking, at 9:00am In Golden Gate Park, SF. The whole thing is on grass/trails.
    --Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris--how did it go???? I wanna know!! Congrats! I have a feeling you killed it! Details, my friend, please!!

      Delete
    2. I am moving across country for work so I made it my "Peculiar Going Away Party" 9:00 am Sunday morning in Golden Gate Park????? To run a 5K????? (Well, brunch afterward was a big part of it too) five dear friends showed up, everyone finished, even the two confirned "I hate running types" I never walked. I ran the whole way. I only wish I could attach the pix my fast friend took of three of us crossing together. 36:10

      You can do it Sean,

      --Chris

      Delete
  2. So, So awesome you could meet Gerri in person. What a gift. Life/Weight coaches are worth gold when you connect.

    Very powerful and a reminder that we can only be successful when we draw from both inside ourselves and connect to others outwardly.

    Good stuff! Karen P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved following your adventure of meeting Gerri for the first time and so glad you shared that with us! Great photos, too, you both look so happy :) Isn't it amazing to meet people in 'real' life who you've only communicated with online? It's how I met my husband and also quite a few friends I've only known through blogging. This is one part of the internet that I will always treasure, the way it brings people together :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a wonderful experience, Kerstin, for sure! It's amazing how much our world opened when the internet came along. And of course, we've all heard the horror stories---and yes, those are out there--- but on the flip side are stories like yours and stories like mine with Gerri...beautiful stories!

      Delete
  4. Gerri has been a major blessing to me in many different ways! Boomer Lake is a very peaceful place. I'm so proud of Mom. She's doing remarkable things!!! Thank you, Heather!!

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. Thank you for your support!






Copyright © 2008-2020 Sean A. Anderson

The Daily Diary of a Winning Loser. All rights reserved.