Wednesday, August 26, 2015

August 26th, 2015 For Me To Thrive

August 26th, 2015 For Me To Thrive

It's the strangest feeling to approach a scale without the desire for a loss. I find myself in this situation for the first time in my life. It's taking some intentional thought and meditation to really embrace this perspective. I've said it before--written it within these pages several times: It's not about the scale. Especially now.

It will always be about my recovery, overall food sobriety and abstinence from refined sugar. Those must be handled with loving care each and every day in order for me to thrive. It takes practicing proven recovery techniques and daily intentional actions for the maintenance of these critically important elements. Unlike my initial loss and first time at a healthy weight, I take these things very seriously. 

I helped a friend move some things this evening in preparation for their out of state move in the morning. We traveled to Stillwater in two separate vehicles, loading one and leaving enough room to pick up my mom for a quick dinner out.

We decided on McAlisters Deli. When approaching a restaurant menu, I'm very confident in my ability to zero in on the items in harmony with my food plan. This place was a challenge. I asked for a nutrition guide and was referred to their website. My fault for not doing the research earlier--but standing in line with people behind us wasn't the time to google this on my phone. So I opted for water only until I could sit down and look at the website.

I was fully prepared to eat later. I simply will not sacrifice the integrity of my food plan and abstinence from refined sugar. Everything was a sandwich or a salad at this place. I don't do salads. Never have and not starting now.

I looked long enough to find the whole wheat wrap. I checked the nutrition and it showed zero sugar. I approached the manager and asked her to confirm this and she did. I kind of knew my next questions would be easy--this place is a chain and efficient. They weigh and measure everything. I asked how much turkey on a wrap--4oz--okay, how much cheese? 1oz--okay...good deal... I opted for the wrap, turkey, cheese, lettuce and tomato, with plain yellow mustard. It wasn't bad at all. I was surprised the calorie count exceeded 500. (Nearly 300 of that from the 12 inch wrap).  It wasn't the most satisfying and it certainly wasn't the best calorie value--but it was more than enough to hold me over until I could eat something more, later.

Weigh day this morning brought another one pound loss.
 photo 217.420weigh20in_zpsmqkrendd.jpg
My immediate adjustment is 100 calories extra per day. Now I'm at 2,300. Jonathon, a Facebook friend of mine, had some really good advice in light of today's weight:

"Now is a good time to replace your old weight goals with other worthy goals...like strength goals, endurance goals, nutrition goals, etc. I'm partial to strength goals because I believe strong is healthy, but find some that work for you.

Oh, and given the many variables of scale weight, one pound is likely completely meaningless. My 24 hour morning weight fluctuates as much as 6 pounds and is frequently 2-3 pounds which obviously isn't "real" weight loss/gain."

I agree with everything he offered in this comment. The perspective shifting must continue, That's my challenge these days.

My Tweets Today:


































Thank you for reading and your continued support,
Strength,
Sean

12 comments:

  1. A couple questions for you. How tall are you and zucchini in tacos? Is this a regional thing? Oops that's three, have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, no prob! I'm 6'3" The zucchini in the tacos is kind of my thing. I noticed the Mexican place close to my apartment had zucchini on their menu--including it in certain dishes. When I order the fajita chicken and zucchini--it's a special request--and they do it...I also order the taco shells separate, the lettuce and sour cream separate, too. (they charge me 6.50 for everything--it's insanely cheap when I order it this way!) Then I assemble my creation: Fajita Chicken and Zucchini Tacos! They're really delicious!! It's a regional thing if the region is the 900 square feet of my apartment. :) Sometimes it's hard to find a Mexican place that keeps zucchini on hand. I've asked at several other places and they give me a blank look.

      Delete
  2. "I was fully prepared to eat later. I simply will not sacrifice the integrity of my food plan and abstinence from refined sugar."

    Just wanted to say I appreciate reading of your continued commitment. It's been really helping me lately. I felt myself slowly getting closer to just giving up, yet each time I read here it helps me see it is possible. To remind me, and to shine a light in my current darkness.

    Tonight felt like I turned a corner, back towards that light. Your posts have played a part in that, and I just wanted to say Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loretta, Every time I see you smiling face on that profile picture of yours--and I see your name, I smile. You're so very welcome. It is the best feeling to know that my sharing daily is having a positive impact. Thank you for all of your incredible support of me and what I do, for so long.
      I also think of you each time I open up the blog and see this fabulous design you created! :)

      Delete
  3. You are so right to realize the scale is not going to say exactly the same thing every single week. And I'd rather see a downward movement than an upward trend. So I think you're doing great, keep it up and I'm doing my best to get on the wagon with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dupster, I'm so glad you're climbing aboard. All is not lost, my friend. If there's anything I can do for you that might help, please email me and let me know!
      Yeah--I think very soon I'll move away from the weekly weigh-ins--perhaps go to two or back to three weeks in between. I've come too far to get into some insane number chasing. The fact is, depending on my exercise levels-sodium-water retention and various other variables--this weight will jump around a little each week.
      As I've written-- as long as I'm not on a binge--and I'm not eating refined sugar--I'm going to be okay.

      Delete
  4. Sean,

    A la Noah, I'm 217.4, I got this. You are the preeminent world expert on yourself. Clearly you know what's going on, and you got this. Any thing other than celebration of your hard work and dedication is missing the point. At your weight, your good habit, your good blood pressure and lipid profile, all these little changes are NOTHING compared to the problems of relapse and 370 lbs, or 505 lbs. You got this.....and of course you're inspiring all of us readers.

    --Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, thank you very much. This means a lot to me. You're spot on correct. Maintaining those fundamental elements--keeping my brain actively involved in recovery--not losing sight, will give me the best chance of avoiding another relapse/regain.
      Oh my, Chris--getting back up to nearly 400 pounds again, scared me in a profound way. I'm fortunate to have done it and lived to tel about it, though. And now I'm grateful for the experience. It taught me some things. Valuable things.

      Delete
  5. Your entering the day by day struggle of maintenance and keeping our weight at goal, is enlightening. No wonder we have such a hard job "keeping the lost weight" off!!!! It is tricky and takes a lot of work! We arrive and think we now know what we should eat - and HA! It's not a fact. There is a whole lot of learning at this new stage. Thanks for shining a light on this!
    N~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy--it is my personal mission--I've made it this, because I don't want to go back. And now I know that going back is something inevitable IF I don't make my recovery important. I'm making it critically important. And it's making a huge difference in everything. Very welcome--and thank you!

      Delete
  6. I'm hoping my scale see's the other side of losing this week! Its been way to long for me. I know I can maintain the lbs I 've lost but I need to rev it up now and move along! This is why I come here. I need to see what your doing, saying, feeling.. its helps.

    Thanks Sean!
    Happy almost weekend!
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosie, I'm so thankful you come here, my friend. Thank you! You can do it!!! It's a daily practice, not a daily perfect. I'm just glad you're doing so well!! :)

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. Thank you for your support!






Copyright © 2008-2020 Sean A. Anderson

The Daily Diary of a Winning Loser. All rights reserved.