Thursday, July 19, 2018

July 19th, 2018 How's That For Timing?

July 19th, 2018 How's That For Timing?

Today: I maintained the integrity of my maintenance calorie budget, I remained refined sugar-free, I met my daily water goal, and I stayed well connected with exceptional support.

Do you ever have moments of self-doubt? It's amazing to me how I sometimes have the ability to take a small amount of self-doubt and turn it into an elaborate story. I suppose I have a great imagination. There, that's positive, right? Yes, it is, unless that imagination concocts elaborate untruths about me or what happened with a particular thing and what I did to mess it up? Today was a good example. Let me explain...

I was asked to do an interview for Health Monitor Magazine back in January. I was so excited! One of mom's favorite things is to read weight loss stories in magazines--and now she'll have one with her son! Joy joy!!

Health Monitor is distributed to hospitals and doctor's offices all over North America. Chances are good you've found one in a waiting room near you. It was an honor to be asked! The interview was great. It went very well. Photos were requested and sent, the article was written and submitted to the editors and then... nothing. In the stand-up comedy world, we call this "crickets."

I sent an email two or three weeks ago just to check on the status of the article. I didn't get a reply.

So today, it crossed my mind again. Whatever happened to that article? I thought about it and then I thought some more.  Then, as if my brain was hijacked, I started thinking... Was there something about my story the editor didn't like? Maybe the medical community decided it wasn't the type of story they wanted to feature? Crazy stuff.

Then, to battle back against the wave of ridiculous thoughts, I decided it was okay, whatever the reason. I know what I've built here. I'm proud of where I've been, where I am, and where I'm headed. I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and dog-gone it, people like me. But what if I'm not and people don't--even if it's just the people at Health Monitor Magazine-- oh yeah, that negative head chatter loves to argue. 

I try to ask myself reasonable questions in these moments. Is this true or is this full of creative assumptions and conclusions created by and living exclusively in my head? Nine times out of ten it's the latter.

Finally, I dismissed it all by getting into my work and later by engaging in support exchanges. By the time I arrived back at my apartment, I'd pretty much forgotten all about this mental detour in my day. Then--and this is nuts!!!!! Then... the most amazing thing happened.

I checked my email and found:

Hi Sean: 

FINALLY!!! Your issue is attached—page 15-17. When you have a moment, feel free to send me your mailing address and I will have customer service send you a bunch of issues. 

Thank you for checking in and I hope you've been enjoying the summer. 

All my best,

Amy

Well, how's that for timing?

The article features me and David Garcia (from the blog "Keep It Up David!) It was very well done! Maybe you'll run across it one of these days in a waiting room! Very cool.
----------------------------------
My evening plans were changed with an off-air situation at our station's transmitter site. An engineer and two other colleagues who are more adept at dealing with technical issues weren't available tonight, so I made it to the tower site to see what I could do. The air conditioners were not working. I arrived at this conclusion after discovering the inside of the building to be somewhere around 150 degrees. To make a long story short, I kept the door open, turned the transmitter back on to low power and waited for the ac person to show up. I left, enjoyed dinner, and came back as the ac guy was finishing up the job. All is well.

My youngest daughter turns 25 tomorrow. Time moves quickly! Now, she's a young mom of three!! And I'm 46 (although I sometimes feel like I'm supposed to be about 56)-- everyone: Courtney, (the birthday girl), Lucas, Amber, KL, mom, my ex-wife Irene, Allen, and all four of my grandkids will gather at our favorite Mexican restaurant tomorrow evening for the celebration. It'll be a wonderful experience. I already know what I'm ordering for dinner. 

Today's Featured Tweet:
 
Thank you for reading and your continued support,
Strength,
Sean 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. Thank you for your support!






Copyright © 2008-2020 Sean A. Anderson

The Daily Diary of a Winning Loser. All rights reserved.