Monday, June 18, 2018

June 18th, 2018 Right In Front Of Me

June 18th, 2018 Right In Front Of Me

Today: I maintained the integrity of my maintenance calorie budget, I remained refined sugar-free, I met my daily water goal, and I stayed well connected with exceptional support.

I gotta tell you something--I have kept this blog politically and religiously neutral for almost ten years out of respect for different affiliations and beliefs. I don't plan on changing that, ever, but I cannot write tonight's blog without mentioning how troubling it is to read and hear about children being forcibly separated from their parents by our government. This isn't right. Again--I rarely mention current world events because this isn't the place for those discussions--and I'm not wanting to start one here and now. I just want this insane policy stopped. This isn't the answer.

Okay--enough of that... On to today's edition of the DDWL...

Sometimes I forget about the non-physical benefits of exercise. A simple 30-minute walk does something positive to the brain--an endorphin release, and it changes things quickly. I rarely take off walking in the middle of a workday but I did today. It was a great experience and I'm planning to do that more often. I also have flights of stairs I could intentionally climb back and forth. Both of these options have always been available--I just haven't recognized the opportunity right in front of me. I think it comes from a gradually developed mindset that a good workout must happen at the Y or some other "workout" place--I need to remember how I started in September 2008. Something, anywhere--in whatever way, intentional movement--it's exercise and it counts. I mean, let's be honest--I live in a 2nd story apartment. I have a staircase right outside my front door. Tapping exercise for the physical--but also the mental benefits is something I intend to make a priority again, starting now.

My food plan is going well. Through emotionally turbulent times, somebody like me must be ultra aware because let me tell you something--and this is from experience: The deeply ingrained reaction toward excess food still exists. It takes acting instead of reacting--and sometimes the pause needed to make the next right action is the thing that separates peace and calm from chaos. Where I turn in that moment of pause makes all the difference in the world.

When the rationalizations of the past have been proven to be lies--when "just this once" or "a little bit won't hurt" is no longer believable, that's when that pause is most valuable.

Excess food promised to take me far far away from my troubles but it never did, ever, in all my life--it only distracted me; a temporary diversion from the issues demanding my attention. As soon as the food was gone, I was always miserable--and as a cruel bonus, the issues prompting me to run away into the food in the first place still existed; issues now coated with an extra layer of guilt, shame, and indigestion.

I'm not that strong. I don't operate on willpower. I maintain a practice each day that keeps me connected with people, a food plan, a spiritual practice, and a dream to keep on keeping on this path. I'm an eternal optimist. I believe in hope. I don't live in fear of relapse. I simply live with an importance level that honors and respects the fragility of it all.

I smiled today. I laughed today. I was touched by messages received from people responding and reaching out because of the NBC news story. If you're new to this blog, welcome! Thank you for being here!

Today's Featured Tweets:


Thank you for reading and your continued support,
Strength,
Sean

No comments:

Post a Comment

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. Thank you for your support!






Copyright © 2008-2020 Sean A. Anderson

The Daily Diary of a Winning Loser. All rights reserved.