Sunday, November 29, 2009

Day 440 Challenges Directly Ahead

Day 440

Challenges Directly Ahead

Day 440, wow…that looks really nice. I don’t know why that number struck me, but it did. I’m so excited about the challenges that are directly ahead on this road. I’m thrilled at my progress and at the same time, a little uncertain of where I’m headed. These are un-chartered waters. I haven’t been this small since my early teen years, and once we arrive where we’re headed, wow…I haven’t been that small since eleven years old. So, that’s where the uncertainty comes from…the unknown. Oooh, scary! But really, it isn’t scary, it’s exciting and thrilling. The road ahead will be a real education on physical fitness and metabolic rates as we battle for a goal that’s so wonderfully in reach at this juncture.

The advice has been pouring in, all of it good and sound, and most of it identical or extremely similar. I should increase calories and work out hard is the common theme. I have to admit, I’m having hang-ups about the ‘increased calories’ part of the plan. I know it must sound silly, but I’ve enjoyed…I mean, really enjoyed 1500 calories a day for so long. I’ve learned to maneuver and adjust my foods to get the most satisfaction out of 1500 calories. For instance---I prepared a monster, and I mean MONsteR egg white omelet last night. I used six egg whites, more leftover turkey, and cheese---and still the calorie count was a very unbelievable 200 calories. I couldn’t finish the thing, it was that big and filling---for 200 calories. If adding calories is something I need to do to pick up the metabolism, then I will get it done. But as silly as it sounds (I honestly can’t believe I’m saying this), I will convince myself that it’s OK. Wow, I’ve really brainwashed myself on the 1500 calorie limit. BUT---we must be flexible enough to tweak our approach from time to time. The body is smart; it catches on after a while. Its job is to survive with what we give it---and it makes it’s own adjustments accordingly. If we don’t keep it guessing, then it’ll adjust itself and we’ll crawl along at a snails pace or have no loss weigh days, or dare I say---a gain come weigh day. I must keep this in mind over the next several weeks of this journey.

Today was a wonderful Saturday, oh---except my OSU Cowboys getting embarrassed by the Sooners. That was a hard game to watch. It wasn’t what anybody expected, we were stunned at our watch party, that’s for sure. I didn’t do snacks during the game, instead I sipped a diet soda. I enjoyed some thin crust chicken pizza for lunch before the game, so I was all good. Some friends invited me to dinner tonight. We dined at a nice place—with a menu full of questionable choices---I made it very simple and tasty by ordering a chicken breast sandwich minus the bread and veggies and mayo---basically—just a chicken breast with a baked potato. I added a tablespoon of sour cream and some salt and pepper, and it was sooo good! I added a little Heinz 57 sauce to the chicken, at 15 calories per teaspoon---it’s well worth the flavor! I had 30 calories of that yummy stuff! I always order water with extra lemons, then I squeeze the lemons into the water and add a zero calorie sweetener. It’s nearly free lemonade—calorie wise and monetary wise! It was a nice dinner indeed.

I received an update on my dad, and it wasn’t a good one. He’s experiencing some complications as he recovers in the hospital. His intestines and colon are not working properly now---and the doctors are making adjustments as needed. He can’t leave the hospital until everything is working properly. Aunt Beverly called with the news, then I heard from Dad before the night was over. Dad is still optimistic, “just a little setback, no big deal.” He’s got a great attitude. I know he’ll recover nicely. I can’t wait to see him again someday soon.

Many challenges are directly ahead. I’ve got to move in the upcoming week. I hate moving! But it must be done, so we’ll do it. I am looking forward to having access to a bowflex, treadmill, elliptical, and various other workout machines anytime, 24 hours a day. That’s just one of the wonderful amenities of our new apartment. So it’s exciting really! Exciting with a twinge of uncertainty. Isn’t change fun!

Thanks for reading! Goodnight and…

Good Choices,
Sean

9 comments:

  1. I would not worry about increasing calories until you have gotten back into your exercise routine. A plateau is not one weigh-in...it is multiple weigh-ins strung together. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to suck it up, OSU.

    Sorry to hear about your dad. Hope he's up and about soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only one comment here, Sean- try adding some more fiber to your diet. Do you ever calculate how much you eat a day? I believe the guidelines are 38 grams of fiber daily for man your age.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope your dad gets better very soon. Glad you had a good wknd.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of exciting things coming up. That will be cool to have a 24-gr gym at your place :D
    Hope your dad gets well soon.
    Have a FABulous Monday :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to agree that one weigh in isn't enough to say you've hit a plateau! Which is a good thing :)
    Hope you're dad is better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One thing I like about moving is getting rid of junk that I've held onto for years but don't use and don't need. Sort of what you've been doing with your weight, right? Good luck with the packing and what not. As for that plateau - I've been thinking about that a lot and I don't think you can say you've plateaued until you have several stagnant weigh-ins. (Now I see several others have suggested the same). Although it never hurts to make adjustments. Maybe the addition of more access with your 24 hours fitness center will help.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sean, I love how honest you are with the struggles you have along the way. And who knew that a formerly overweight person would struggle with the idea of eating MORE, right?

    A few thoughts on that. First, I think I've read before that you're already breaking up your calories throughout the day. If you can make it work, try eating breakfast first thing to fire up the engine, and then several small meals throughout the day.

    There are also easy, HEALTHY ways to add calories without upping your volume too much if you don't want to. That egg white omelette? Add one whole egg for a bump in calories. Instead of using cooking spray, use extra virgin olive oil. Your morning yogurt & fruit? Add in an ounce of almonds for extra calories and good, healthy fat. Throw some avocado on a sandwich - a healthy alternative to mayo with good fats and calories. A lot of these things (olive oil, almonds, avocado) will also help you increase your healthy cholesterol, too!

    Good luck & keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sean, I love how honest you are with the struggles you have along the way. And who knew that a formerly overweight person would struggle with the idea of eating MORE, right?

    A few thoughts on that. First, I think I've read before that you're already breaking up your calories throughout the day. If you can make it work, try eating breakfast first thing to fire up the engine, and then several small meals throughout the day.

    There are also easy, HEALTHY ways to add calories without upping your volume too much if you don't want to. That egg white omelette? Add one whole egg for a bump in calories. Instead of using cooking spray, use extra virgin olive oil. Your morning yogurt & fruit? Add in an ounce of almonds for extra calories and good, healthy fat. Throw some avocado on a sandwich - a healthy alternative to mayo with good fats and calories. A lot of these things (olive oil, almonds, avocado) will also help you increase your healthy cholesterol, too!

    Good luck & keep writing!

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. Thank you for your support!






Copyright © 2008-2020 Sean A. Anderson

The Daily Diary of a Winning Loser. All rights reserved.