Tuesday, November 11, 2014

November 11th, 2014 I Do Not Have It All Together

November 11th, 2014 I Do Not Have It All Together

You might have the impression that I have it all together. I do not. Sure, I'm having incredible success right now, but it isn't because I got this. I'm having this success because I'm doing my best at building all sides of my recovery.

The truth is, I'm naturally weak. How does someone who claims to be weak and says he doesn't have it all together, keep it together? It takes a committed effort, every day.

I've built an accountability structure that makes it very hard to not succeed. It's still VERY possible to throw it all away--and seriously, one sugar binge would undoubtedly create a chain reaction resulting in my ultimate undoing. So I proceed carefully and I make the elements of my success extremely important. I must always make what I do important--I must always make me, important, because I've discovered what happens when I let it all go: I end up losing myself in a dramatic way.

It's all about finding what works for you, right? For some it's the right plan or the right support group. Some people get into weight loss competitions, and that works well for them--others just wake up one day and decide. Countless people have lost incredible amounts of weight and even maintained their weight loss--and they did it quietly--no blog, no book--no social network or elaborate chain of support, they just did it--and I admire those people. They're strong. They're the epitome of inspiring for their strength and determination. I'm not like those people, I promise you. I wish I could say I was, but I'm just not--and that's okay.

What is it that works for me? The food tweets each day, all day, this nightly blog writing ritual, the support buddies I have on speed dial and text, the weekly weight loss support group I co-facilitate, the weigh day scale pictures from my doctors office posted to all of my social media outlets, the prayers, the meditations--all of these things keep me moving on the straight and narrow.  And each one is critical to my success. If I eliminated these things, it would just be me again and I'm not strong enough to do it on my own. 

Every now and again, I'll use the old cliche, "If I can do it, anyone can do it," and now you know just how deeply I mean those words.

It truly is about finding what works for you. It's different for everyone--and for some, like me, it takes a whole lot of things working together, for me to keep it together.
------------------------------

It was a good, solid day at work. I was very productive and had some fun interviewing country music icon, T.G. Sheppard. The interview doesn't air until next Monday--and his concert is the 21st. After the interview, before we ended our call, he invited me for a pre-show visit, perhaps some coffee on his bus. I'm totally taking him up on this offer! 

My workout was fantastic tonight. I took it up to level 12 on the elliptical. When I first started back to the YMCA several months ago--and I was working on level 2, I remember looking over at a guy doing level 12 and being so incredibly impressed. Back then, level 2 was challenging enough for me. Now, I'm the guy on level 12, rocking it!! This really feels amazing.

My breakfast and lunch was almost exactly the same as yesterday. I did enjoy something different for dinner. The most important thing about the food, to me, is: Do I love what I'm eating? The answer is yes, I do--very much. I will occasionally mix it up and get creative with a little variety. If I'm getting tired of something, I'll be the first to know and I'll be quick to make changes. 

My Tweets today:
















Thank you for reading and your continued support,
Strength,
Sean

10 comments:

  1. I think social media and blogging can be deceptive as we try to share but not show too much. Truth is, none of us really has it all together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Helen. Good point. "All together" is a relative term, really--different for each person, certainly.
      There is a limit to sharing and it's decided by each person's personal boundaries and comfort level. You simply give what you can give. It's up to the reader to decide if it's enough for them or if it's lacking for what they're looking for in content. If it's not enough, they can read other blogs until they find one that gives them what they're seeking. I know, for me--there are certain things I no longer write about in depth, because it's too personal--namely intimate details of personal relationships--I don't go there, where I once did--years ago. In my opinion, one person's perception of deception is another's healthy boundary, unless the author isn't being real, in which case most people can spot that a mile away. I think each of us find our balance in time, if we give it enough time.
      Good to hear from you, Helen!

      Delete
  2. Woohoo Sean level 12! I will be there one day! I remember the first time I got on the elliptical I was on level 1 and about died to make it on 5 minutes...it was so sad and Embarassing and made me feel all sorts of emotions. I have gotten better and no longer feel like I m bout to collapse. I find it a good way to see how I progress, how I can stay on it longer or work at it harder. Exercise is my worst part in this journey, I have to fight my instinct to avoid it! Thanks for inspiring me, your hard work does wonders for you and indirectly helps others too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alati, I totally get what you're saying! Me, too!! I've always done way less than I'm capable in the exercise department of this journey.
      You will be there one day!!! You're headed there, now!
      Awe, you're welcome, I'm so glad you're inspired!! Thank you so much, Alati!!

      Delete
  3. It's possible to recover from being obese, but I wonder if any who do ever really lose that ability to slip again, if they aren't ever vigilant. Sure, some days are easier than others, yet that old life/mentality is always right around the corner, willing to tempt you back. Good calling it out and acknowledging it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gwen, good question. I don't think we ever lose the ability to slip again. If we revert to those deeply ingrained behaviors and patterns of our past, we'll certainly make a return trip up the scale. I know for me, If I ever attempt to entertain the idea that I'm beyond relapse--get ready, because relapse is coming. I believe if we maintain the fundamentals of our recovery--and we always give them utmost importance, regardless of where we are on the scale, then maintaining and living a happy and healthier life, is very possible.
      Thank you very much, Gwen!

      Delete
  4. Great post, Sean. One of the things I love about your book and the blog is avoidance of the "follow this prescription to health & wellness" that so many authors preach. You really do have to find the methods, support, and means to achieve and maintain your goals in this area. I'm still very much finding mine but your writing definitely inspires me to keep trying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lance, thank you! There really isn't such thing as 'one size fits all.' Finding the right combination of elements is purely personal. When we spread out our individual elements--we certainly, and often find several things in common along this road!!
      Never give up, my friend! Keep trying, always!!

      Delete
  5. I love the picture of breakfast.. melting horror egg face with green apple hair..awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PJ--Loving your sense of humor. I had to look again and by golly, you're right. It is Melting horror egg face with green apple hair!!

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. Thank you for your support!






Copyright © 2008-2020 Sean A. Anderson

The Daily Diary of a Winning Loser. All rights reserved.