Wednesday, November 5, 2014

November 5th, 2014 Weigh Day Edition

November 5th, 2014 Weigh Day Edition

I honestly didn't know what to expect today. I know my food has been and continues to be on plan and consistent, so that was working in my favor. My uncertainty was in the exercise department. Up until this three week period, I would allow one rest day per week. The past three weeks it's been more. Perhaps I'm being a little hard on myself, after all--some of the busy days where I didn't do an intentional workout, I was up, out and about--moving and exercising naturally. And that obviously counts. I was very pleased to step on my doctor's office scale today and find this number staring back at me:
 photo photo37_zps15001a3b.jpg
This represents another 8 pounds down over the last three weeks. I crossed over the 100 pounds barrier, too, bringing my 28 week total to 105 pounds. I'm now only 59 pounds from being back at what I once considered my healthiest weight. I don't know if it will be my healthiest weight this time. I'm starting to do strength training and this could affect what my healthiest weight will be someday. It doesn't matter to me. To be fit at a healthy weight, that's my goal--whatever that turns out to be, who knows?

My good friend, Jon Ludtke in Wisconsin, shared with me a fabulous perspective. He said, "We're spending a short amount of time getting to a healthy weight as compared to the years we hope to stay at a healthy weight." This perspective reminds me to not get impatient and to just take the best care possible with my food, exercise and abstinence from sugar, one day at a time--and allow time to do its thing. It reminds me the most important and truest test will be maintaining, not getting to a certain number. There isn't a "finish line." I'm not doing what I do each day as a temporary means to an end. I'm training to make taking extraordinary care a way of life, the rest of my life.

I fully expect a slow down or dare I say a "plateau" one of these weigh days. When that time comes, I'll need to lean on support to handle it mentally and make some adjustments to handle it physically.

I must tell you, doing this--for me, requires a lot of commitment. If I wasn't fully committed to logging everything in MyFitnessPal and Tweeting everything I eat, everyday--as I have for the past 28 weeks--I likely wouldn't be experiencing this success right now. If I didn't make reaching out for support important and maintaining this blog on a daily basis a personal requirement, I cannot say I would still be going strong. If I somehow started believing I was invincible and had it all figured out-- I would once again be humbled, and quickly, with a monumental fall. 

I interviewed Charlie Daniels on my show Monday morning. I asked him if he ever gets tired of playing his biggest hits (I know--very softball question) and his reply was wonderful. He said, "I don't get tired of them because I've never once played them perfect. It's a challenge each night and each night I try to play it better than the night before."  

Echoing this living legend's philosophy and practice: I'm not perfect along this road and I wouldn't ever want to be. That would be boring, unrealistic and I would tire easily along the way. Each day is a challenge and my goal is to try my best to do better than the day before. I'll not hit it some days and that's okay, as long as I never give up. I must always keep an open mind, allowing myself to learn and grow as I go. This approach brings me a level of peace and happiness I didn't have before.  

My Tweets today:




















Thank you for reading and your continued support,
Strength,
Sean

20 comments:

  1. Congrats, my friend! You rock on, and are such a source of joy to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gwen, thank you so much. You just made me smile from ear to ear.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations Sean! You are doing fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow.. incredible! Outstanding Sean! I'm so impressed with what you are doing.
    I think its time I follow your lead and go sugar free. Clearly I am doing something wrong. My scale does not move like I like I like it, so time for a change up.

    Thanks for the great motivation you provide daily! And again, WTG on your loss!
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosie-- If you decide to go sugar free, I sincerely hope it brings you peace, clarity, calm and consistency--and with all that, comes results. Having talked with many who have gone before me, I know that my experience isn't unique. It's a similar story among most who come to this conclusion. I'm so proud of you for deciding on a change up! And sincerely, I appreciate your support. Thank you!! And you're very welcome!

      Delete
  4. That's fantastic Sean!congratulations on all your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Exercise doesn't seem to help me lose weight, but it does seem to help me maintain easier. Way too many people try to out exercise a bad diet. It doesn't work. You are doing so great -- back in the 200's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caron, thank you! Feels wonderful to be back here. You're so right. In my spiral, I don't think I could have exercised enough to counter what I was doing back then.

      Delete
  6. The idea of this being a lifetime maintenance program is what I need to concentrate on - moreso than what the scale is saying daily. Need to stop the daily weigh in because it DOES color my whole day. You Sean, are marching steadily along the chosen route and the results are fabulous. Congrats again on sticking to your program - especially the sweetly baked goods day at work!!!
    N~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy--I highly recommend giving up the scale except for once every two or three weeks--or even a month, if you wish. Weighing too often gives the scale an incredible influence over our emotions--and as you know, our emotions can have incredible influence over our food and exercise resolve. You'll strengthen your trek if you eliminate the daily weighing, I promise!
      Curiosity has killed many attempts. If you take the focus away from the scale and onto your one day at a time approach, weigh day will come around quicker than you think---and then, with some distance between weigh ins, you're more likely to get a positive boost when you step on.
      Thank you so much Nancy!!

      Delete
  7. Nutrition and how you eat will determine what weight you become. Exercise may have little to do with your actual weight you become. Exercise changes how much better you look at the weight you carry the more your exercise, obese or thin the healthier and better you will do regardless your weight. Then there is the age factor when you need to both exercise and reach your ideal weight to live the longer life.

    Congratulations Sean on the progress. Great to see you making a effort to strength training. Here is my latest blog, something I'm sure you can relate too.

    http://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage_public_journal_individual.asp?blog_id=5811530

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jon! The strength training is something I desperately need to get super consistent in doing...
      Excellent blog, sir!

      Delete
  8. Great weigh-in AND philosophy Sean. It's a process, isn't it, if you're really in it for the long haul?

    Dede

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dede--it is a process, for sure. And a perspective. Trusting the process, adjusting the perspective and then adding time--and from the experience comes the philosophy. I fully believe, for me--if this is to be a long term change, I must always give it careful attention...always. And if the trade is a good, healthy, wonderful life--then, okay--that's a good deal. :)

      Delete
  9. Good going Sean! Commitment + consistency = awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on the loss again Sean!

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. Thank you for your support!






Copyright © 2008-2020 Sean A. Anderson

The Daily Diary of a Winning Loser. All rights reserved.