Friday, December 7, 2018

December 7th, 2018 Working On This Stuff

December 7th, 2018 Working On This Stuff

Yesterday: I maintained the integrity of my reduced calorie budget, I remained refined sugar-free, I met my daily water goal, and I stayed well connected with exceptional support.

Yesterday was a good day. My food plan was good, I stayed connected with support, both giving and receiving, and I embraced the elements of my daily practice that must be done, come what may, each and every day. However...

I can identify many ways in which it could have been a better day, but I'm not going to list them here--my brain does it for me. I have a list of goals and somedays, my "good day" doesn't really make much progress on those. My "good day" keeps me well and I'm immensely grateful to be well. An extraordinary day would find me making even the smallest of progress on the goals and desires I've talked and written about many times.

I'm going to set some intentional action goals designed to get me moving forward instead of resting here in this groove. The groove is good but I don't want to sit here forever. I must start small with consistency. Consistency beats intensity--I've lived this, and it must be applied in areas outside of my familiar daily practice.

I've given a lot of thought--too much probably, to this "line of least resistance" dynamic. Asking myself compelling and open-ended questions is important--but the answers aren't as important as the doing of small, consistent, progressive intentional actions. If I do those, I believe it can actually help me find answers.

What is it that sometimes makes progress seem impossible? 

Do we feel “right at home?” To be where we are and remain here is to live around the line of least resistance, or so we might believe. But is our place at this line really easy? 

It's familiar, yes. On many levels, even comforting, because it's what we know. But is it easy when you consider all we sacrifice in its maintenance? 

Our identity, social interactions, and relationships all lean heavily against us wandering too far from the line we've called home. And when we decide to change, moving away from this place can be scary.

We gradually realize the potential effects of this liberation from what is known, transforms much more than what's on the surface; our bodies and wardrobes.

Is it easy at this line or have we simply become accustomed to adapting as needed to accommodate and preserve our place? 

When we regain, is it in part a subconscious retreat to familiar surroundings? 

In my opinion, the heart of the matter lies in what we choose in order to find and maintain a semblance of comfort and peace. And what we choose often lies to us in its promise. Excess food, or excess anything, might keep us “safe,” but it doesn't make anything easy and it doesn't fix anything. 

To choose change is brave, requiring large amounts of faith and commitment. Change isn't hard simply because it's different, it's just not familiar. The only way it becomes familiar is through practice. 

We redefine our line. 

And along the way we find ourselves transforming in ways we didn't expect. The line of least resistance isn't easy to maintain. It is familiar and that provides an illusion of ease.

Perhaps it isn't the line of least resistance—maybe it's the line of familiarity.

If we can practice and embrace the changes we desire long enough to become familiar and understanding, then perhaps we can change the baseline we call home.

I'll continue working on this stuff.

We're under a winter storm watch for today and tomorrow. The forecast is constantly changing! The Christmas parade is downtown tonight and I really wanted to bring Noah, but it might not be the best plan to be out on the road tonight. We'll see how it all develops.

My morning routine is complete. My food is packed, my phone is charged, I'm charged--and it's Friday!! Let's do this day!

Thank you for reading and your continued support,
Practice, peace, and calm,
Sean

No comments:

Post a Comment

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. Thank you for your support!






Copyright © 2008-2020 Sean A. Anderson

The Daily Diary of a Winning Loser. All rights reserved.