Wednesday, December 17, 2014

December 17th, 2014 Weigh Day Edition

December 17th, 2014 Weigh Day Edition

I honestly didn't know what I would see from this three week period. I fully expect a dramatic slowdown to hit anytime. The previous 31 week weigh-in was a 5 pound loss. I wasn't expecting this number on the scale today:
 photo photo44_zpscfebbfc1.jpg
This represents 13 more pounds down in the last three weeks. My 34 week total: 123 pounds.

Naturally, I'm trying to figure out how I lost 5 the previous three week period and 13 this time. My theory: Perhaps I was retaining water at the 31 week weigh-in. It doesn't matter, really. I did increase my water consumption over the last week since adding it to my accountability program.

The natural fluctuations of our body weight is why I don't own a scale and I only weigh once every three weeks at my doctors office. The long three weeks in-between weigh-ins gives my body time to level out. I don't think I could handle the day to day ups and downs if I weighed more often. It would be a distraction to me, and everyday would be like spinning the wheel of emotion...Do I get to feel great, or will I be discouraged? Because let's be honest, no matter how many times and different ways we try to convince ourselves it will not affect us either way, it still can, and does. Weighing once every three weeks prevents that roller coaster ride.

Some people thrive on weighing more regularly. I applaud them! They're stronger than me! 

My friend Jon in Wisconsin, after reading on facebook about today's 13 pound loss, left a comment on yesterday's blog post that really made sense. He wrote:

"Take this as a complement in a good way Sean when I I have to smile & LOL out loud when you mention your concern about how exercise activity might effect weigh in day. IMO your current food intake levels in the absence of sugar is over 95% responsible for your 123 pounds in 34 weeks. Weight lifting and exercise if anything will slow down weight loss in a good way. Getting the weight off through good nutrition is still more important but now would be a great time to get that weight training going as my only concern is loosing too much muscle mass your next 50 pounds if you wait until you lost all the weight. IMO, It will be much easier in the long run to start weight training now, slow down the weight loss a bit, rather than continue the rapid weight loss, making weight training that much more difficult later."

Great advice, Jon. Thank you! That's the plan.

I enjoyed nachos for lunch today. I carefully measured everything and it was wonderful. But here's a little fact: I no longer keep chips at home. Only at work. When I kept a bag in my apartment, I found myself craving them, exerting energy to resist them. I'm typically busy at work, so it doesn't bother me to have a bag in the employee kitchen. Isn't that interesting? Oh, the curious things we learn about ourselves along this road, it's often times fascinating.

By the way, I somehow missed the first water tweet today. I took the pic and forgot to Tweet.

My Tweets Today:






















Thank you for reading and your continued support,
Strength,
Sean

19 comments:

  1. Your continued weight loss is wonderful. You work hard for it!

    I like to weigh in every day, I know to expect fluctuations and I can handle them. What I can't handle is going a long time between weigh-ins and expecting a big loss - and not getting it! I find that really crushing. I'm not expecting much day to day so whatever happens, it doesn't throw me off the rails.

    What you are doing obviously works for you, so keep doing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalie, thank you! You're so very right--it is all about the perspective we choose. And you perfectly explained the flip side, thank you! I will keep on keeping on!

      Delete
  2. Great weigh in, Sean. I totally agree with Jon's comment. I know for sure that I can lose weight easier without exercise, but that isn't necessarily a good thing. I will put off exercise unless I make it a priority and I know that at my age losing anymore muscle is a terrible thing.

    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Caron. I must shift my perspectives on weight training, embracing it--instead of what I've been doing.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on the weight loss, Sean!

    And what a very cool photo that is of the last bottle of water. I'd be tempted to print that one out and use it as a reminder of how exciting water can be. :) With all of those raindrops and background lights, it looks like the water just exploded with energy. And, then, there's that hwole water contained in a bottle and water drenching the outside... chuckle. I'll stop now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deb! Wow, you really like that photo! :) I enjoyed your artistic interpretation!

      Delete
  4. Congrats on a great 3-week loss! I know you will work on building up those muscles Sean. I didn't during my loss and I am missing some of my strength now. I wonder if it's ever too late to try to get some of those muscles back? I will be 64 in two weeks.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's never too late! It is difficult as a woman (and particularly as a slightly older woman) but although you may not see the rapid strength gains that a young man would see, with consistent and progressive training you will make incremental gains over time — and strength training has a number of other benefits, some of which are very important for women as we age, including improving bone density and strengthening joints. I highly, highly recommend looking into classes or training options, particularly those with a focus on heavy weight-lifting (e.g. deadlifts).

      Delete
    2. Here we go — this woman is my idol: http://thegrio.com/2014/11/29/77-year-old-weightlifting-grandmother/

      Delete
    3. I agree with Mary, 100%. It's never too late. Thank you, Dupster! And thank you Mary!

      Delete
  5. Congrats on your weight loss! Doing it without deprivation feelings is the greatest! I look forward to when I am able to cut out the sugar. I can see that now, with your daily recording, that my major problems with regaining were each attached to going back to sugar. Also, your observation of having the chips in the house and how they can "call to you" ~ Their to doing that for you at work. Interesting. I know this experience!!!! Thank you for sharing all your observations that we too can grow.
    N~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy--that's exactly it--doing it without feeling like I'm missing out on a single thing. I'm losing weight and gaining so many wonderful blessings along the way.
      Yeah--the chips thing is very interesting. When we start looking at ourselves, without the filter of denial--we can really make necessary adjustments, giving us the best chance at success, with the least possible resistance.

      Delete
  6. First of all, congrats on the terrific loss! That's great news!

    I am a (near) daily weigher. I don't think I'm even stronger than you - I just view it differently. For me, by weighing daily I am used to seeing small fluctuations - so many numbers so often has robbed the scale of (some of) its power. It's all about point of view!

    I make my own chips at home. I cut corn tortillas into wedges and bake them in the oven. I really like them and I find they don't trigger me the way the ones in the bag do. I usually cut and back 2 tortillas and that's plenty!

    Congrats again Sean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neca--you and Natalie make a great point. It is all in perspective!!
      Oh my--I could totally make my own, too! And it would be a wonderful calorie control maneuver! Thank you, Neca!

      Delete
  7. p.s. Sorry for all the typos! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. Thank you for your support!






Copyright © 2008-2020 Sean A. Anderson

The Daily Diary of a Winning Loser. All rights reserved.