Saturday, April 29, 2017

April 29th, 2017 In Defense

April 29th, 2017 In Defense

Today started at 2am when the weather radio sounded the alarm. I was just getting some solid sleep and suddenly it was time for weather coverage. This happens. And I must remind myself--it's the season, it's not this way year round (thank goodness). What made this exceptionally challenging was the location broadcast scheduled for 10am. Today required some careful navigation and consideration. I was able to get more sleep this afternoon into the evening, but of course, now, it's made it very difficult to be tired at an appropriate time. The rest of the weekend is affected when things get tilted like this.

Maintaining the boundaries of my food plan is something I take very seriously. When the schedule gets tilted, I find myself leaning on the pillars of my plan--more support communications, and basically, a more mindful approach. When things aren't on a consistent schedule, it's like juggling flaming torches. The goal becomes--don't get burned!!

I didn't get burned today. I had a good food day. I had to hurry this morning in order to make breakfast, but I made it and it was good.

The non-negotiable elements of logging everything and no refined sugar are two things I embrace regardless of circumstance. If I allowed these to be compromised every time the schedule is compromised, I'd quickly be 500 pounds again. The imagery I use is of a boulder in a stream of water. Sometimes the water gently flows around it--sometimes it rushes around it, crashes into it--and turns into ferocious whitewater rapids--but the boulder stands. It's much easier when the water gently flows. When it doesn't, in terms of my daily plan-- it requires me to strengthen certain elements in defense. I reach for support contacts more, I get more spiritual, and I focus on getting what I need--what I really need (like today's afternoon nap).

My brain always says excess food is the answer. That's how I'm wired.

The actions I put first either support the truth: Excess food isn't the answer. Or enable the illusion. Staying connected physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually, is key for me.  

Challenging day!

I visited with mom this evening and enjoyed dinner and conversation with my oldest daughter.

Today: I maintained the integrity of my maintenance calorie budget, I remained refined sugar-free, I exceeded my daily water goal, and I stayed well connected with exceptional support.

Today's Accountability Tweets:






























Thank you for reading and your continued support,
Strength,
Sean

1 comment:

  1. When you write about these days, I always appreciate it, because it applies to so many people. It can be outside demands (baby, sick child, job, elderly parent, college work, etc).

    But today, as I was reading, I was thinking how often it is an inside demand. Several came to mind - insomnia and secondary conditions (migraines, GI issues) and anxiety/rumination. We have to figure out how to navigate those days too. For many people "those days" are every day.

    And I was also thinking about when our kids have a bad day/time. The first impulse can be to offer them decadent food. It was probably what was done with us as children. And it is so important not to do that with our kids. To not wire "trouble = food" or "pain = food" or "sad = food" or even "love = food" into their brain. Because once that gets wired in, it is a real struggle to unwire it.

    I personally do not even think "holiday = food" should become a habit. I think family activities should get wired into holidays instead of food. So yes, there is a nutritious meal, but it is something that happens quickly so we can get to the real fun of the day.

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. Thank you for your support!






Copyright © 2008-2020 Sean A. Anderson

The Daily Diary of a Winning Loser. All rights reserved.