Thursday, October 9, 2008

Day 25 Mentally Ready and The McSeatbelt

Day 25

Mentally Ready and The McSeatbelt

It's hard to believe that this is Day 25. The weekend is coming again and weigh day will be here in not long! Just 5 more days and I'll step on the scale once more, I can't wait! In yesterday's blog I talked about obsessing over exact calories and not going over even by 5 calories with a dill pickle. It might seem a little extreme, but I know myself. Everyone's different. For some, simply limiting portions and exercising is enough to get the job done. No calorie counting at all. I just can't do that...I need to know because if I don't I may completely mis-judge something. If I just relied on portion control I would probably end up at way less calories than 1500, because I'd be too afraid I'd over do it. As strict on myself as I might sound, I'm really fairly relaxed. Some people feel the need to write down every single thing they put in their mouth. And they're comfortable with that method. I just like to keep it real simple, every time I eat something I get a total update in my head. And since I'm not eating big amounts it's really easy.

I stopped by the doctors office yesterday and had my blood pressure checked. It's getting much better than the astronomical numbers from June 10th. The doctor that so boldly laid my critical weight/blood pressure situation on the table and brought me to tears that day was on duty. I left a card with the address to this blog, I certainly hope the doctor realizes how thankful I am for that wake up call. Even though it took me another three months to really get busy. I am now and that's all that matters. The brain is a stubborn thing. I can't tell you how many times over the years someone has tried to talk to me about losing weight. They would tell me about different surgical options and special diets or pills. And my response every time was “I know how to lose weight, knowing how isn't the problem, getting in the mindset is my problem”. During this 25 days, this blog has been read more than 1,000 times, and I know of a couple of people who have read, and whom I would love to inspire to do this. But I've learned that not everyone has arrived at the proper place mentally to take on this challenge. They know that they need to, they understand the deadly effects of not doing it, they understand the wonderful benefits of doing it. But like me in that doctors office back on June 10th, they're just not ready. I know I've talked about how easy this is, and in the proper mindset it does get real easy, but I also understand that if a person isn't ready to accept and adapt to a major lifestyle change, then it's nearly impossible. I once thought that the only way I would ever do this would be to go into a hospital like setting, where everything is done for you. A place where they control everything...what you eat, drink, sleep, exercise...The schedule and food is all handled by someone else. I really didn't know if such a place existed until just recently. I was watching Discovery Health or some channel like that. The program featured people that were much bigger than me. People that had to be rescued and put into a hospital under strict supervision. It was their only way out of certain and very soon death. It was very sad to watch and know that for some, the right mindset never happens. I have to thank God everyday that I have been given the strength to get into the right mindset and stay true to this mission to the very end goal. I'm one of the lucky ones. It's amazing how when you think you're the only one, when you feel like you have it the worst, and you feel completely hopeless to change, you're shown somebody who can only dream of being in your present condition. I'm very blessed and I can't forget that. I had an opportunity to choose change before the changes chose me. I'm forever grateful for that strength. I pray that others will also find that strength. And it certainly doesn't come from reading this blog, it comes from a very deep and personal place within each of us. And once the decision is made to change, then perhaps this blog can be a daily booster. It's certainly helping me.

A few months ago I was getting ready to head home one evening when I decided that instead of cooking, we would have McDonalds. I drove to the drive through and loaded up with nearly twenty bucks and 4500 calories worth of double cheeseburgers, Quarter Pounders with Cheese, a Filet-O-Fish with extra tarter sauce, and another bag dedicated to the fries. We were going large that night. I was nearly three blocks away from home when a motorcycle police officer pulled me over. He walked up to the passenger side window and stuck his head in right above all that food. I can't believe he didn't sneak a fry or two, they were right there in his face and the hypnotizing aroma filled the van. He told me that he was pulling me over because I wasn't wearing a seatbelt. I want to wear it, and I've tried to wear it, I've even given myself a charley horse in my side trying to buckle that thing, it just will not click. So I told him that I couldn't wear the seatbelt because it didn't fit...I went on to tell him that I was working on losing the weight (a lie at the time) and soon I would be able to click the seatbelt without giving myself a hernia in the attempt. He told me to wait right there, and he went back to his motorbike. I don't know what he was saying on his radio, but I can only imagine the story he told to his fellow officers about the guy who couldn't fit in the seatbelt... “then he said he was working on losing weight...the guy had 23 McDonalds bags in the front seat!”. It was real hard to keep a straight face when I told him that I was trying to lose weight while all the hot food right beside me was wafting in his face. He came back and told me that after considering the circumstances he would give me a warning this time, and that I needed to look into getting some seatbelt extenders. I guarantee he re-told that story when he got home... “you wouldn't believe the guy I pulled over today”. Before he walked away I really wanted to tell him that the food wasn't all for me. I didn't, I was too embarrassed to say anything but thank you. When I got home I told my family about the traffic stop, and despite the seriousness of not being able to fit in a seat belt, we couldn't help but laugh at that slice of comedy gold, then we ate everything in those 23 bags...actually it was only two bags. Day 26 and the beginning of another weekend is only hours away. Thank you for reading this blog, your feedback and support is sincerely appreciated.

Good Choices,
Sean

No comments:

Post a Comment

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. Thank you for your support!






Copyright © 2008-2020 Sean A. Anderson

The Daily Diary of a Winning Loser. All rights reserved.