Thursday, September 10, 2009

Day 360 Walking After Midnight and The "Plan" Vs. "Reality"

Day 360

Walking After Midnight and The “Plan” Vs. “Reality”

The 5K last night took a little longer than I had planned. I really wanted to try to jog half of it, but I'm just not ready for that kind of endurance. I was really wanting to do it in about 35 minutes, instead it took the usual 47 or so. I guess I have it in my head that at a certain weight I'll just be able to naturally run without much trouble. Not true. I need to seriously consider the “couch to 5K” running plan. My body is so use to walking, it gets a little cranky when I try to jog for very long! I had zero choice about the 5K last night. I knew it had to be done, I had put it out there. I finished at 12:30am. When the schedule gets tight, it's too easy to just cut the workout down or even out, and that's something we can't do every day. It really goes back to reminding myself that I'm not where I want to be yet. I'll get there, but the consistent effort that brought me along this far mustn't be compromised. My consistency now depends on my ability to manage this schedule. I should never be out there walking after midnight, never. I should be in bed no later than 10:30pm, seriously. I've got some work to do on that.

It was only suppose to be an hour nap this afternoon. Yeah right! That hour turned into two and a half hours. Dinner time with Irene before her departure wasn't waiting until after a workout and I had plans for a haircut after that. The plan was: Nap, workout, blog, dinner, haircut, shower, play rehearsal, home and bed. Reality: Nap, more nap, still more nap, dinner, haircut, shower, play rehearsal, walking, blog writing. What about the whole “mustn't be compromised” thing from the previous paragraph? The walk tonight was very different than the 5K last night. I only did two laps tonight. Not great, but better than nothing. Yeah, “better than nothing.” That's what I always tell myself when I cut a workout short. I'm hard on myself, real hard. But I know me and sometimes I need to be forced to do the best thing. “Like sleep?” Someone shouted at their computer monitor. Yes, like sleep, you're so right.

I still run into people who are shocked at some of the items I allow into my calorie budget occasionally. In the beginning especially, but even today when someone ask what I eat, they seem shocked at the answer. But I'm telling you my friend, this “nothing is off limits” philosophy has been critical to my success. It's true, I've lost over 200 pounds eating whatever I wanted. The key? Portion control, portion control, portion control!

Diane at www.fittothefinish.com will be my next interview. I'm really excited about talking to someone who has kept off the weight for over a dozen years. Thank you to everyone who took the time to vote!

Calories were slightly under 1500 today. Play rehearsal was awesome. I still can't believe it's me up there. It feels great. Just amazing! Thank you for reading, goodnight and...

Good Choices,
Sean

13 comments:

  1. You need to be tweeking you life a little Sean, Walking after Midnight(Patsy Cline?) is not good when you are up so early..

    Sleep feeds your body just like the food you have now got under great control. Maybe to mark the 1st Birthday of this journey, sleep could be made a priorty for the next year?

    Take care

    hugs


    Sheilagh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss you--hope the play is going well. Hope you find some time to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think with time you'll get things balanced more. But when it comes to sleep when your body really needs it it just takes it. That was some dedication to walk at midnight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't imagine how dedicated you must be to walk after midnight! Wow! I hope that you will be able to get some more rest into your life, because it sounds like you are just "burning the candle at both ends!"

    Take care, and I agree 100% on your food philosophy. When I deprived myself of a certain food, I just wanted it all the more.

    Looking forward to talking with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate lack of sleep, I hope you get some sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am still struggling with sleep issues myself. Sleep a little extra for me, my friend :)

    Good on you for getting your walk in anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Diane's a great choice for the next interview. Be sure and ask her where that money is she owes me. She knows what I'm talking about!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with the nothing off limits thing! VERY cool about the play. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sean. Great you got your walk in but please take care ...

    Best wishes,
    Bearfriend xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. As someone who has insomnia, and involuntarily doesn't get enough sleep...I can tell you how detrimental going without it is. If you can voluntarily sleep...then please Sean, make the time to do so. It helps out in so many ways. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. portion control, moderation, movement, breathing, sleeping. it's all good..hope you are havin' a good day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't wait to hear Diane's interview. I love her blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm new here and a first time poster but your portion control comment really hit a nerve. I'm just starting on this weight loss journey and I'm really trying to come to terms with the portion sizes, my God, they are a killer. You're an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. Thank you for your support!






Copyright © 2008-2020 Sean A. Anderson

The Daily Diary of a Winning Loser. All rights reserved.