Wednesday, February 11, 2015

February 11th, 2015 Don't Stop Dancing

February 11th, 2015 Don't Stop Dancing

If you're struggling, it doesn't mean it's hopeless. It doesn't mean it's always going to be like this. It simply means you haven't found what works best for you. Don't stop dancing and eventually you'll find the groove.

Finding our groove doesn't make us immune to struggle. Struggle can happen to any of us at anytime for a variety of reasons. When we're in our groove, doing what works best for us, we're better prepared to navigate the occasional struggle.

Where I find myself today is a dream come true. Or better, a dream that came back to life. In the middle of my relapse and regain period, I swear--I felt an incredible sense of doom. I had never felt more lost in all of my life. Righting the ship seemed impossible. I was going down quickly. This turnaround to me, is my personal miracle. 

What I did before wasn't going to work this time. Some of the elements are the same but many of the biggest elements I hold near and dear now, were not part of my original weight loss journey. I had to be willing to accept this, make adjustments; additions and subtractions--and arrive at a new approach.

I was digging through the archives of my Facebook page earlier, looking for a picture, when I came across a status update from mid-2011, maybe six months after hitting 230lbs in November 2010. I should have copied and pasted somewhere-- It was something like, Somebody asked me if I was worried about gaining back the weight and I said no, because I've redefined my blah, blah, blah, blah...Wow. I really thought I had a lock on it, huh? I read that and thought--oh no, poor guy--I had a lot of learning to do. And that part--the learning, never stops.

I know how dangerous that "sure thing" way of thinking can become. The truth is, if--and only IF, I continue to hold sacred the elements of my recovery, will I have the best chance to become successful in maintenance mode.

I had a good food day. I made my water goal and I made it to Yoga for the best class of my short practice. I'm feeling exceptionally well.

My Tweets today:






















Thank you for reading and your continued support,
Strength,
Sean

12 comments:

  1. That whole "keep dancing" thing reminded me of my father.

    When he was college age, he was a semi-pro baseball player. Back in 1950, he made $100 a game. (Later, he used to laugh about how much oney he thought that was.) When he was older, married, with kids, he officiated (You know, the guys in the black and white shirts) high school and college baseball, basketball, football and soccer games. Yeah. All of them. He also played golf all summer and bowled all winter. You know, between the bouts on the ballfield in that black and white shirt.

    I said all of that so you'd know how physically active he was. Knowing that will make this next part mean more.

    When he was in his 60s, athletics came to an end. He had his leg amputated above the knee. Ten years later, the other one went, too.

    When people would ask him how he was doing, up until the day he died (which was 2 hours after he got home from work), he would always say the same thing: "I'm still kickin'--just not as high."

    I guess if he could keep on kicking, we can keep on dancing.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, sincerely, thank you for sharing your father's story. What an amazing human spirit. His attitude--the perspective he had to embrace to be that positive in the middle of such a dramatic change, is incredibly inspiring. He never gave up.
      We can absolutely keep on dancing!
      Thank you again, Deb

      Delete
  2. Boo-Yah! You're the best.

    --Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true! And just when I think I have it all figured out or that I am "cured" is when I find out that I am not!

    Dede

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dede, indeed. It's a tricky thing because sometimes, instead of over-confidence, it can seem to be in the form of 'a positive attitude.' And we all need a positive attitude...I believe it requires a twisting of this positive attitude--as in, We can be positive about the choices and importance level we apply to our fundamental elements--but as far as a declaration of "not ever going back," if we don't recognize what's required to make this a true statement--and we don't continue to make it important--we can go back, and quickly. Then it gets super tough, even more than before. I'll never be cured and I'll never have it all figured out. All I can do is my best in maintaining the integrity of my elements!

      Delete
  4. Thank you! I have been struggling the last couple of months and this post was so helpful. Today was good ---I kept saying to myself--just go back to doing what made me successful over the last year and tweak it to make it work now. Patti M. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti--yes, yes, YES!! :) The adjustments are important. I suggest making a list of what worked well for you. Then, go through it carefully. Are there elements you could delete and things you could add to strengthen your trek? I'm so happy for you, Patti!!

      Delete
  5. Great post! I think we all come to a point in our "journey" that we feel we've locked it in. We get to that nice comfy spot.. " I got this!" feeling! OH so wrong. We will never be locked into it for good, there will always be something around us that temps us.. it is up to us, like you said, find our own way. Its all about the ups and downs and how we deal with them. And of course, wouldn't life be boring if it were all just on the straight and narrow all the time? :) Somedays I like the roller coaster of life and sometimes I don't!
    rosie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A wise person once said "we need the hard times because they increase our appreciation of the good."
      Life will happen--and finding balance with our fundamental elements, come what may--is an amazing difference maker.
      Rosie--I'm absolutely thrilled for you, because you're having some monumental breakthroughs that will only enhance the wonderful success you've earned over the last year.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the reminder Sean. I read this a little late but it's hit home considering how I was saying to you yesterday how happy I am in the place I'm at right now. I must stay alert to the possibility of struggles that as you said, everyone experiences. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome, Leah! Staying aware, alert--and committed to the elements bringing us so far--that's the deal.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. Thank you for your support!






Copyright © 2008-2020 Sean A. Anderson

The Daily Diary of a Winning Loser. All rights reserved.