Sunday, February 8, 2015

February 8th, 2015 Not Subject To Change

February 8th, 2015 Not Subject To Change

The word to the wise lately, for me: Be flexible and ready to change plans quickly. I woke with different plans today, made some adjustments midday and made it all good. The key for me is to always keep the baseline of my fundamental elements in rhythm. I can change plans quickly, but through it all--I do not sacrifice certain things.

As long as I remain within my calorie budget, exercise if it's an exercise day, rest if it isn't, actively seek and offer support and abstain from sugar, I'm good. The other stuff is subject to change. The fundamental elements are solid, and they mustn't lose their importance level. The fundamental elements are not subject to change.

What I do works for me very well. If you wanted, you could pick several ways in which I could improve my daily trek. Believe me, it's far from perfect. And that's a good thing. I'm not after perfection. I'm all for consistency. Even if it's consistently imperfect.

I don't get enough sleep. I eat way too late sometimes (see my #lastfoodofday tweets). A good argument could be made that I don't push myself hard enough in the exercise department. I often go too long between meals. I dine out too much. All of these things: True story. And it still works for me.

I would rather accept my imperfections than mercilessly and unnecessarily beat myself up for perceived "failures" along the way. We do what we can do, when we can do it. If we identify our baseline fundamental elements--the things not subject to change, and we hold them sacred--then we're free to be perfectly imperfect as we consistently make our way forward along this road.

In the past, as soon as I sacrificed my baseline fundamental elements--that's when the scary detours started. My baseline fundamentals were a little different than they are now because I've added reinforcements in the accountability, support and dietary/nutritional departments. But they were still clearly identified during my initial weight loss. Now, they're reinforced--a little stronger, I'd like to believe! Identifying, adjusting, adding to them, then ratcheting up the importance level all the way to "sacred," is critically important.

I did a 5K in the park this evening. It's the same trail where I started walking on Day 1 when I weighed over 500 pounds. They're replacing another part of the trail with brand new concrete. I sure would like to get a chunk of the old trail concrete. Just a small chunk for my apartment decor. I suppose I'm sentimental like that. It represents something to me. Kind of like when people buy an old seat from a stadium being renovated. I might make a call or two tomorrow. That's a neat idea.

 photo e0079416-57fe-41a1-815e-8f5a5dcd6851_zpsuvnkhhgl.jpg
 photo ac828f58-0e32-451d-a5f0-8d4a38e12a7b_zps1miqiygd.jpg
Archived speaking event photos.
For speaking engagement availability and booking information, email: transformation.road@gmail.com

My Tweets Today:
























Thank you for reading and your continued support,
Strength,
Sean

14 comments:

  1. "I would rather accept my imperfections than mercilessly and unnecessarily beat myself up for perceived "failures" along the way."

    DUDE! That is seriously powerful. I consistently let perfectionism get in the way. If my plan goes awry, I just say screw it-just ridiculous.

    Lots to think about. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valerie, I'm so happy this deeply resonated with you. You're very welcome. And thank you! We make this road much easier on ourselves when we let go of the 'all perfect or nothing' approach. Perfectly imperfect, Val!

      Delete
  2. What a fantastic idea to grab some of the track you started walking at the beginning of your journey
    I can't believe at 500lbs you walked 5kms I need to go back and read the beginning of your blog and get inspired again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh TR--No, I didn't do a 5K at 500lbs, I assure you!! When I first started, Day 1--I could barely make it a 1/4 mile--likely less. I didn't even attempt the actual trail that first time--just the perimeter of the auditorium that sets on the property--one time...And I thought that was going to kill me. It took a long time to get to 5K... Much shorter time to get to 1 mile, though...Maybe a week or so, if I remember correctly.
      I'm absolutely calling to see if I can get a small chunk! Thank you, TR!

      Delete
  3. AMAZING post. Powerful stuff. Great to see what works for you, and a reminder to those of us following along that we need to find what works for *us* and work it! Quick question: I thought you'd blogged some time ago about only keeping chips at the office? Has that changed? Are you struggling less with these (and if so, can you share some tips)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, A! Awe, the chips...Yes, Not too long ago I decided to give it another try. So far, so good. My rule: Every serving must be weighed--measured before eating. If, at anytime I start feeling like I can't keep this promise to myself--then I'll go back to the 'at work only-around other people' policy. I relented when I realized I didn't have anything on hand to go with homemade guac--It was a rare day, when I didn't even have tostadas! Struggling less with these, for sure. Usually I buy the blue corn organic/all natural variety--the chips in the breakfast nachos tweet pic are from my Mexican to go order the other day.

      Delete
    2. And if I'm away from home or work, without a digital food scale, I make a guesstimate, relying on my experience in counting out and weighing--so I have a really good idea of what is a serving and what isn't!

      Delete
  4. Hi Sean, I hope you can get a piece of your walking track..that would be a great reminder of how far you've come. I've been meaning to comment for a while. I read your book over the Christmas holiday and I loved it! Your blog continues to inspire me, especially some of your reflections on the mental aspect of self improvement. Thanks for sharing your ideas! Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, thank you! I made a phone call today and in not long the superintendent of the project called me back and assured me I could get a piece of the track! I'm thrilled!
      I'm glad you enjoyed my book! One of these days there will be a book number 2! And it will be full of all kinds of interesting new perspectives! I've experienced and learned quite a bit since writing the first!
      And thank you for your support of this blog, too!
      You're very welcome for the ideas!

      Delete
  5. HI Sean, I would love to know when you have had all these "a Ha" moments. Your statement you made in this blog really hit me hard, like most of your blogging has done recently. You said, " I would accept my imperfections.... You know the rest... God, How I wish I could get there.
    For the life of me I'm not sure why I can not get to that proud moment of what I've accomplished in the last year. Am I normal? Will I ever be proud of myself? Will I ever "get" it? Does the worry for you ever end? Meaning... for me, I wake up and go to bed ever night thinking the same things.. .can I continue this for the rest of my life? Can I find that place in my own head that relaxes and just take this in stride. I find I go one step forward and take two back. .... not in gaining, just in my inner thoughts. So my question to you is...are you having more of that inner peace this time than your first time losing?
    Sorry for all the questions! And thanks so much.
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosie, Don't give up, is number one.
      You've accomplished incredible things in the last year. If you transferred all you've accomplished onto a piece of paper--in black and white--then, read it...But try your best to imagine you're reading the accomplishments of a friend or loved one. What would you say to them?
      Rosie, you're normal, my friend.
      It's very common to do this to ourselves.
      I'll reply more on this later tonight. :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the kind words, Sean. I am going to do what you said and write down what I've accomplished over the last year.
      You are so right, if this was someone I had met on the street and told me what they've done, I would pat them on the back and give them the biggest congrats! Its time I open my eyes and mind a bit more and start reaching out for some much needed support. Thanks for the response. And no, I'm not giving up! :)
      Rosie

      Delete
    3. Excellent start, Rosie. Being proud of yourself and feeling good with you is an internal study and something that takes work. For me, what really helped was described in detail on May 15th, 2014's blog post--you can easily find it in the archives. Notice I used the word "helped." It's something that requires practice with intentional thought.
      The constant worry--or obsessive thoughts, in my opinion--will decrease as your level of acceptance increases and you find the groove that works best for you. Acceptance comes when your resistance to the changes you're making lessens. And reaching the point of greater acceptance might mean you need to make some adjustments--It's all a part of finding what works for you.
      One of the things I've written about in the last several months is how it's important for me to have two streams of activity--life happens in the foreground--the base fundamental elements that keep me moving in a positive direction with my weight loss goals, happen in the background...It's important for these to keep their place...Because it's when they cross over into each other's streams when issues start to arise. In other words-- If I start sacrificing life because I'm so intensely focused on the fundamentals--then I'll quickly become worn and even resentful toward my trek. And if I allow the ups and downs of life to dip down--affecting my fundamental elements--then I'm quickly crumbling...in other words--If I allow any disruption in my life to weaken my resolve in the name of stress and emotion--then I've allowed the 'life stream" to cross over into my "fundamental elements" stream.
      The bottom line--You're making a commitment to yourself--you're setting your resolve, you're honoring yourself by taking extraordinary care, Rosie. You deserve it. And that right there is a biggie--believing we truly deserve it. We do. Again--it takes work, but it's worth the effort.

      Delete
    4. Strong support is key, Rosie. You're not alone. Don't isolate yourself. Explore support options!!

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. Thank you for your support!






Copyright © 2008-2020 Sean A. Anderson

The Daily Diary of a Winning Loser. All rights reserved.