Wednesday, February 18, 2015

February 18th, 2015 Weigh Day Edition

February 18th, 2015 Weigh Day Edition

The phrase "You get what you give" applies to most everything. Except the scale. Body weight fluctuates with fluid retention, wastes, biochemical, physical, medicinal reasons and a variety of other variables I'll not pretend to understand.

Six weeks ago, when I stepped on the scale and it showed a two pound loss in three weeks--it took support friends offering perspective that made sense, for me to be okay. It's a normal reaction because what we're doing takes effort. And we naturally want to be rewarded in a way we feel matches the effort. But the scale does what it does. And sometimes all we can do is take comfort in knowing we're doing the right things. If we're not doing the right things, then we can make adjustments.

The next weigh-in showed a four pound loss. I naturally expected a slow down, so four pounds was a very nice number. Today, I was ready for whatever the scale threw my way. I had attitude, baby. I'm confident in what I'm doing and how I'm doing it, so--bring it on!! Small loss, no loss, a gain-- whatever. Let's do this thing!! Last weigh-in was 265, today's:
 photo photo2071_zpskrwcfap3.jpg
Well, if that doesn't beat all, as my grandpa used to say. My 43 week weigh-in showed a 7 pound loss, bringing the total to 136 pounds since the beginning of this big turnaround from relapse and regain. I was thrilled with the number, obviously. But...

I must remember, just as I try my best to accept a low number in stride--understanding the body fluctuates--I must not get too hyped up over this very nice loss. I strive to stay centered and focused. And I'm doing my best to focus on how my body feels, how my clothes are fitting and things like this--the non-scale victory type things--instead of putting too much stock in today's current weight. It's a challenge, for sure. 

With this said--I already know, nothing will stop my big happy dance the day I once again see 230 on the scale. It's been awhile, my friend. I suppose it's okay to have fun with the numbers as long as we keep a level perspective about what they mean and don't mean. And we do our best to not let the fun turn to discouragement when the numbers come up less than we wanted or expected.

As Life Coach Gerri always says, "expectations are premeditated resentments."

The bottom line is, this losing phase is relatively short compared to my upcoming lifestyle in maintenance. The maintenance will be the truest test for all of my fundamental elements. I'm looking forward to my second chance at doing it right--physically, emotionally and mentally.

Today was excellent in the food and exercise department. I made it to Yoga class today, thank goodness! A Yoga practice takes practice and effective practice requires consistency!! Two days a week--that's all I'm asking of myself. I plan to make two times a week, work.

Last night, I tried to make my calories hit exactly 1,700, just for fun. I tried to determine precisely how much natural peanut butter it would take and after breaking it down by the gram on the digital food scale, I did it. Tonight, I hit exactly 1,700 again. It was a lucky accident this time. 

Of course, the reality is, it's never truly exact. When we weigh and measure carefully, it's super close and that's close enough. Actually, even without weighing and measuring we can get close enough. My initial 275 pound loss never included a food scale that I remember. Now, it's different for me. I need and actually prefer the structure.

My Tweets Today:




























Thank you for reading and your continued support,
Strength,
Sean

22 comments:

  1. I accidentally hit 1200 yesterday! Funny. Today was 1204. That's with no exercise.

    I am extraordinarily proud of you, Sean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gerri, thank you for your wonderful support! We're on the same wavelength!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on that 7 lb loss! Brought a huge smile to my face. I've still no desire to weigh as I know how I feel about the numbers but I am constantly pulling out clothing that was too small and am now wearing them again. That is my reward. The big reward will be when I have no more smaller clothing and I have to go shopping. Once I'm walking again I'm hoping it will speed things along! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leah, thank you! I was very pleased! The clothes NSV's are the absolute best indicators. Absolutely a reward! Wishing you a speedy recovery!

      Delete
  3. Congrats and I like that you are reframing how you look at your progress.

    Yes, I use the food scale for protein and for the rare times I eat fruit. My maintence carb window is narrow and I could potentially regain some days by over doing protein consistently. The food scale is a great gate.
    Onward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reframing certainly takes some mental work--but it's worth the effort. I agree about the scale--I keep one at home and work. Onward, indeed! Thank you, Karen!

      Delete
  4. Fantastic Sean! I can't say to much more different that others haven't said. Your dedication and your passion out shines even the numbers on the scale.. but man, you freakin' rocked that bastar# of a scale! LOL
    So happy for you! Congrats, Sean!
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosie--thank you!! I rocked that thang!! I appreciate your words, very much. :)

      Delete
  5. Congrats, Sean! I use the scale only for nuts and cheese, but mostly just nuts because I'm getting pretty good at eye-balling cheese. Anyhow, YAY YOU!

    I highly recommend Dr. Barbara Berkeley's Refuse to Regain re weight maintenance. Even if you don't subscribe to all her ideas, she will offer much that will make sense and work for you, long term. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will get that book, pronto! Thank you for the recommendation! And thank you for the congrats! I'm decent at eye balling cheese--but still rather cautious--and craving of the certainty of the food scale. I'm excited about this book!

      Delete
  6. I think the most important piece in your entire post has nothing to do with the result you saw, but rather, your second paragraph where you discussed your 2 pound loss 6 weeks prior.

    That, my friend, was your first real test of mental fortitude. The result you saw yesterday is just a result of how you responded 6 weeks ago. Think of how easily it could have derailed you.

    Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fog Dog, It was a test, for sure. Thank you, sir. You're very right. Had I let it frustrate me--and get to me, I could have been in big trouble quickly.

      Delete
  7. I second Gwens recommendation of the Refuse to Regain book. If I had not customized recommendations from that book for my maintenance practice, I would have obesity again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, your recommendation on top of Gwen's is a sure sign for me--I'm downloading the kindle version tonight!! Thank you!!

      Delete
  8. I know I already said something on twitter, but you are rockin', Sean! Is it possible to be proud and inspired at the same time? While I was sleep walking, you passed me. Time to step up my game (even though I know we're not racing, its a fun metaphor).

    Keep up the great work and I love that you're rockin the yoga as well. It was such a life changer for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lance, I certainly appreciate your encouragement about Yoga. I can clearly see where it will be something I enjoy having in my life on a regular basis. Thank you very much!
      Awe-- step it up, my friend!!! You know you got what it takes, Lance!

      Delete
  9. Your consistency is getting you to the finish line! THAT is the important thing - not what your body decides to do with what you are giving it. I am congratulating you not only on this last scale reading, which is just showing that you are still going in the right direction, but on your consistency. With your changing schedule, THAT is monumental! (We - the obesity prone) are thrown off by pebbles in the road - and you encounter boulders almost every day!!! You are dynamite in action Sean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, thank you!! I'm really proud of my consistency. The more I maintain the consistency, the stronger it seems to be--because now, I don't want to 'break the momentum.' The schedule does get challenging, for sure.
      I try to remember to watch for the pebbles, rocks, bigger rocks and boulders-- because any of them, regardless of size, could trip me up... I feel like, as long as I keep that perspective--the perspective that I'm in no way exempt from their potential harm, then I'll be okay. Always aware--that's key.
      Nancy-- I so appreciate you!

      Delete
  10. Congrats on an amazing loss Sean!

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. Thank you for your support!






Copyright © 2008-2020 Sean A. Anderson

The Daily Diary of a Winning Loser. All rights reserved.