Sunday, June 30, 2019

June 30th, 2019 Close Call

June 30th, 2019 Close Call

Saturday was a 4-star day: I maintained the integrity of my calorie budget, I remained refined sugar-free, I met my daily water goal, and I stayed well connected with exceptional support.

The past 36 hours have been really difficult for my mom. The one thing I forgot to mention in yesterday's post is how the infection affects blood sugar in dangerous ways. Her blood sugar climbed to 600 yesterday. This morning, she bottomed out at 22. That's not 222--- 22. It got scary very quickly. She was unconscious and sweating profusely and the nurse and I couldn't wake her. The nurse grabbed the glucose meter, got the blood sample--then the 22. Suddenly it became an emergency situation. Mom's hospital room immediately filled with five or six people. They were working fast to get the number back up. It was a very close call. Thank God, they were able to get it back up and stable.

The cardiologist came in this morning for his rounds. Mom's heart scan looks okay, aside from the normal stiffness that comes with age. Just minutes after that visit, mom's doctor came in and gave me the rundown of their treatment plan. Their biggest thing is getting the fluid out of her system. They've already reduced the fluid by a liter and that's reducing the coughing. The antibiotics are doing what they do and all they can do is continue a very close watch on her blood sugar, continue the medications, and she'll get through this situation.

I ordered dinner from the hospital and ate with mom last night. My calories were really low, so I drove down to the Sprouts and picked up a couple of bananas and a few single serving packs of Justin's refined sugar-free peanut butter. That was good.

After mom was stabilized, I spoon fed her breakfast--she was too weak to do it herself--then, found some space to take the walk I meant to take last evening. I decided to do that first before breakfast. I walked through the old neighborhood where my grandparents lived during my formative years. No music, no podcast episode, no phone conversation--just quietly walking down the streets of my youth. I sat on the steps of the vacant house next door where one of my best friends lived. It was an interesting place to pause and do some of the things I reserve for my morning foundational routine.

With the tense events of this morning, I waited too long for breakfast and put together a makeshift breakfast in the cafeteria: Honeydew melon, another banana, and another one of the natural peanut butter packets.

I ran into an old friend in the cafeteria. Bill Holmes was sitting there enjoying a good lunch, so we seized the opportunity to catch up. Bill is a fascinating person and it was a nice treat to see him again.

I left the hospital late this afternoon and made my way back home. A good shower and a nap were needed. I didn't rest well last night. I'm currently waiting on the nurses to call me back and that information will determine if I go back down tonight or wait until after my morning show tomorrow.

I'm about to have dinner and then head down to the studio to get a couple things done.

I sincerely appreciate the tremendous outpouring of support. Mom enjoyed me reading the messages to her from everyone. She kept asking questions, "Do I know them? Where are they from?"

She's going to make it through this. So will I. It's just a rough spot.

I'm thinking fajita chicken tacos for dinner.

Thank you for reading and your continued support,
Practice, peace, and calm,
Sean

If you're interested in connecting via social media:
I accept friend requests on MyFitnessPal. My daily food logging diary is set to public.
MFP Username: SeanAAnderson
My Twitter: SeanAAnderson
Facebook: www.facebook.com/seananderson505
Instagram: SeanAAnderson
Also--I'd love you to subscribe to my podcast Transformation Planet! You can find it in Apple Podcasts, in the Google Play store for Android, and listed wherever you find your favorite podcasts! If you haven't listened before, you'll find 20 episodes waiting for you!

Questions or comments? Send an email! transformation.road@gmail.com

3 comments:

  1. Love and hugs to you and your Mom. Hope she improves rapidly. Take care of yourself too Sean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear you mom is still having a very hard time. I pray things get better for her soon. Glad you are practicing self-care as it is so easy to let a very stressful situation side-swipe you off your path.
    -A Longtime Reader

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pray she gets better, Sean. Sounds like they are making some progress. Hang in there. Love to you all. Linda

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. Thank you for your support!






Copyright © 2008-2020 Sean A. Anderson

The Daily Diary of a Winning Loser. All rights reserved.