Saturday, March 28, 2015

March 28th, 2015 Scale Perspective

March 28th, 2015 Scale Perspective

It was an excellent Saturday all the way around. I ate well, had a great workout this afternoon and enjoyed a daddy/daughter date night with my oldest. We enjoyed a play at the Ponca Playhouse--and it was fantastic!

I have some friends along this road with whom I occasionally exchange support emails. Sometimes, like today, I'll reply and think, this might be good to share on the blog. This was one of those.

I was asked to share my thoughts after one of my support buddies took a peek at the scale and didn't see any movement. This person is rocking and rolling--doing very well, but is still discouraged because of the number. They acknowledged hitting the marks well, clothes are fitting better, calories in check, exercise levels up, but as they approach their weigh day on Monday, they're concerned it's not going to be what they wanted to see.

My reply:

I certainly don't have all the answers--but I do have plenty of thoughts...

The scale is influenced by many different factors--fluid retention and fluctuation is a big one. The spikes in fluid retention can happen especially after a restaurant meal, or any meal for that matter, that is high in sodium. Salt=water retention.

Also--when we workout hard, working our muscles--the muscles actually increase fluid retention as part of their process of healing and growing.

Now--here's the thing to consider: Why would we allow something influenced by so many different factors, to influence our mood, perception & emotions, so profoundly?

We give the scale too much power over one of the key elements we need to remain consistent. When we're working hard and hitting our points--and the scale doesn't reflect in a way we feel is justified, we take it as a knock against what we're doing... Then the thoughts come: What am I doing wrong? Why isn't what I'm doing good enough? --Then, we can go extreme--working even harder (or giving up)--and driving ourselves crazy as we ride the scale of emotions...

And the truth is, it's not necessary.

The scale doesn't know what you're doing. The scale doesn't realize the commitment you've made in taking extraordinary care. The scale isn't always a good representation of what we're doing... Like you stated, your clothes are fitting better. That's the real deal. That's something to go by...not the number on a scale.

I weigh every three weeks. I don't peek--because I know if I do, and it doesn't give me what I feel I deserve, it will only act as a discouragement. I don't need discouragements. I need positive energy. When these type of discouragements come--I think it's important for us to realize: We're the ones allowing them to happen. We make the rules for our journey. Then, when we feel we're not within those parameters we've set, we get discouraged...and it's common to be within the parameters we've set--and still not get the results we wanted from the scale. To allow this to be the indicator of how well we're doing, is dangerous and threatening to our trek along this road.

I've had some weigh days where I've received less of a "reward" for my efforts--like the time not too long ago, when it was 2 pounds...for three weeks... Uhg!! Two pounds is great. But I expected at least twice as much.

Remember, expectations are premeditated disappointments. (Actually, the saying Life Coach Gerri shared with me is "Expectations are premeditated resentments," but disappointments work, too.)
.
It's those moments I must remember what I described above and also something critically important:

I'm not doing this as a temporary means to an end. Time has no effect on what I'm doing. My goal is to exercise and hold sacred the elements of my recovery for the rest of my life--so as long as it takes...so be it. 

It's easy to get impatient because we want results now. Refocusing our perspective and realizing that time doesn't matter is key.

The truest indicator of our positive direction isn't in the scale--It's in the things we're making important on a daily basis--and we know what those are. When we're applying the utmost in self-honesty, we know exactly how well we're doing or how poorly we're doing at any given moment...

So, for me, as long as I remain abstinent from sugar--and as long as I'm taking extraordinary care with my calorie budget---and as long as I'm making a point to get regular exercise--and as long as I'm making support interactions important...

The scale can do whatever the heck it wants to do--because I have peace of mind in knowing that I'm hitting the marks I need to hit for my continued positive progress.

You're doing so well. Keep on keeping on!

My best to you, sir.
Take extraordinary care!

Sean

------------------------------------------

I'm hitting the pillow tonight in a great mood and looking forward to a nice Sunday. I hope you're having an excellent weekend!

My Tweets Today:




























Thank you for reading and your continued support,
Strength,
Sean

8 comments:

  1. I weigh on the first every month. this weigh in may not be reflective of my good efforts, because I took prednazone for my raging cold a week ago. I look 'puffy'. Mr. Scale might not give me the number I want, in fact, it'll maybe even be a pound or two up.

    But that isn't indicative of my good efforts and I refuse to let a stupid square on the floor derail me.

    So pardon me now, while I take the poochies for a walk and then enjoy a nice long bike ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I refuse to let a stupid square on the floor derail me." Love this. Gerri, I absolutely adore your straight to the point conclusions.
      Excellent exercise!
      I always value your perspective. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. I too am learning that the focus can't be on every weekly (monthly or whatever) scale weigh but further into the future. If this is for life and not just to achieve my goal weight, I must look long term. Where do I want to be in two years? It might take a while to get there but it will be so much more rewarding if I can stay there because of what I've learned along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Divad, spot on. When we look at it in those terms we start to see our purest of goals. We want long term and lasting success!

      Delete
  3. WOW! Powerful Sean!!! I have given way too much power to the scale weighing daily. Those numbers play with my mind for the day! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Nancy, thank you! And you're very welcome. When we stop giving the scale so much power and control of our emotions, we're better equipped to hold steady on the elements we need to proceed in a positive direction.
      It's certainly an individual thing. Some have told me it doesn't have a negative effect on them--it motivates them instead. I suppose it's all in how we handle it. For me, I couldn't. I know this about me!

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. Thank you for your support!






Copyright © 2008-2020 Sean A. Anderson

The Daily Diary of a Winning Loser. All rights reserved.