Wednesday, May 4, 2016

May 4th, 2016 Flipping The Ratio

May 4th, 2016 Flipping The Ratio

I sincerely appreciate each and every email, comment and Facebook message received in support of last night's blog post. I haven't had a chance to reply to every single one, but I will over the next couple of days. After staying up too late last night, I set myself up for a rough day. Tonight, I'm taking better care and getting some extra rest.

The effect of the NYT article on Dr. Hill's study was just as I and many others predicted. Judging from the tone of several messages today and even within my tight support circle, many people read it and was horribly discouraged. I read everything from "I got a sick feeling in my gut" to "I was so depressed about it, I had a binge."

My experience in not being able to go past 515 pounds, despite my best efforts for nearly two decades, certainly supports the set point theory. Why it was between 505 and 515 for me, 700 for another and 325 for someone else, is simply because we're all different. But still, my experience also supports a much more positive side of things. I'm convinced that a damaged metabolism can be revived and healed back to an optimal level. My belief is supported by maintenance weigh-ins like today's.  
 photo 207-0 weigh day_zpsangpexoj.jpg
After March 30th's 206.8 all-time low weigh-in, I decided to go to a monthly schedule. Today's visit to the doctor's office found a tiny .2 gain. Two tenths of a pound! I'll take it!
 photo 207-0 weigh day progress report_zps53ecwelk.png
This nice five pound range since early December on 2300 calories per day is still somewhat unbelievable to me. I would have never guessed it possible for me to maintain at this calorie budget level. I guarantee, there was a time--this level would have meant a small steady weight gain.

Again--this whole thing isn't hopeless. It isn't doom and gloom. There's plenty of hope and promise for transformation that goes far beyond the physical. The physical is truly the least of this experience.

One of the things that has helped me is what I call "flipping the ratio of focus." Instead of starting out focusing 80% on the food and exercise and maybe 20% on the mental/emotional aspects, I've flipped it around. I've focused 80% on the mental/emotional aspects and 20% on the food and exercise. The mental/emotional aspects covers a wide range of things from accountability and support measures to digging deep in order to uncover the underlying issues behind the emotional dependency and connections with food.

And as our mental/emotional transformation develops, incredible epiphanies come--and then, we're able to devote more time and focus on the important elements of food and exercise, because now we've developed a stronger, more stable foundation for everything else.

The non-physical mental/emotional transformation, in my opinion, is the biggest of all. This is why my first and best advice is always keep it simple. Simple is sustainable. Set a limit, make a doable schedule and honor the integrity of your plan--make it something that fits your likes...something that allows you the mental space to work through the deeper, critically important issues. Because let's be honest, it's our behaviors, encouraged by the experiences shaping our emotional/mental development, that brought us here in the first place.

In my experience working with others coming from all methods of weight loss, the biggest conclusion I've made is this: No matter what method of weight loss you choose, there's no substitute for the mental/emotional work required along the way. This is why we can relate to one another on a deep level--because many of the most important things involved are universal.

Today was a tired day, yet surprisingly productive in several ways. I maintained the integrity of my maintenance calorie budget, I remained abstinent from refined sugar and I exceeded my water goal. I'll do my best to do the same, tomorrow.

Today's Live-Tweet Stream:
































Thank you for reading and your continued support,
Strength,
Sean

2 comments:

  1. I agree that this whole process is more mental and emotional than anything else. I need to stay mentally obsessed with all of it, in order to maintain my motivation. Like Leo Durocher said, "This game is 80% mental and 50% physical." Or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found the NYT article about the Biggest Loser Contestants. I agree that this battle is more between your ears than in your stomach, but I also think the crazy way they lose weight on the show has allot to do with it. I think that when you diet and lose allot of weight, there is a reason why you hit those frustrating plateaus---your body is readjusting and making a new set point.

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. Thank you for your support!






Copyright © 2008-2020 Sean A. Anderson

The Daily Diary of a Winning Loser. All rights reserved.