Tuesday, September 19, 2017

September 19th, 2017 Wasn't A Straight Shot

September 19th, 2017 Wasn't A Straight Shot

Last Friday was a very special day on this blog--and I suppose I was too busy to notice. I missed my nine-year blogiversary! This blog is growing up so fast!!! :)

Flashback--
Day 1 September 15th, 2008:

Today was the all-important day #1 of a long hard battle. Losing weight is something that I've always known how to do, but just didn't do. Oh yeah, I did lose 115 pounds back in 2004--But I gained it all back and then some. And honestly, I think my family is tired of hearing "someday." I know I am.

I also know that losing weight and being healthy and looking good will have tremendously positive effects on every aspect of my life. I've always known that. I firmly believe that I've allowed my weight to hold me back in my career, and more importantly: It's held my family back from fully enjoying life. That's pretty big stuff.

I'm writing this blog as a self-motivation tool. I need to write, I need to express my feelings and experiences, I need to continually remind myself of what I need to do and keep doing. That's what this blog is all about. If you read this blog and have a laugh or feel inspired to lose weight too, then it's all the better! But I'm doing it for me. And by doing it for me, I'm also doing it for my beautiful wife and two daughters. 

How important is it that I lose the weight now? Well...every now and then I daydream a nightmare where I envision my family at my funeral. I know...it's dark! And very scary. But every time I have a little pain I wonder, is this it? Am I about to collapse? Will my funeral be Thursday?? That's very depressing and scary stuff. But when you're as big as I am, it's something that you have to think about all the time. 

Again, the question comes: Then why is it so hard to lose the weight? 

Well, it's hard because there are so many psychological factors that play a part in our daily choices. I eat because it tastes good...I eat because I'm stressed out over something...I eat because "we're celebrating"...I eat because it's much easier to eat whatever you want than count calories and make healthy choices. 

I never exercise on purpose because it's way easier to not. 

But all of this must change. 

I convinced myself that my eating and lack of exercise was controlled by my stress level and emotions. So surely I can convince myself that despite a high-stress life, I can still eat less and workout. And that's exactly how to lose weight. Eat less and workout. I don't want a surgery or a lap band or anything other than complete control of myself.

This is all about making choices. Every choice we make has a consequence...some good, some bad...Some really good, Some very, very bad. Choices and consequences, that's what it's all about.

So what am I doing? I'm choosing 1500 calories a day and exercise. I've proven this combination works for me (see 2004 reference above). Tomorrow I weigh. I'm really scared at what I might weigh. I guarantee it'll be more than you think. But one thing I promise in this blog...I'll put it all out there...As much as it might be embarrassing to announce my weight tomorrow night, I will. I have to...because I must make myself accountable. I know it will be over 500 pounds...It will for sure. I'll report on my weigh in tomorrow night.

Today was day 1. A successful day 1. 

I even turned down fresh baked Otis Spunkmeyer cookies! Ya see my bank has cookie days every Monday and Friday...so naturally, I do all my banking on those days, because even though you're supposed to come inside to get the free cookies, they know me so well, that they will send them through the tube in the drive-through. 

Today was cookie day, and without my asking, they sent me some cookies with my cash. It was a test! I politely declined the cookies and pushed the button jetting them back to the teller. I explained to a shocked panel of tellers that I was trying to count calories, and although I can have 1500 a day, I couldn't waste 250 on that delicious little cookie. Day 1 and already a test of willpower. This is gonna be fun.

I look forward to this blog. I believe it will help me stay on track and maybe along the way it will inspire someone else to stay on track.

--------------------------------------------------------
I just love the way I thought I had it all figured out on Day 1. Clearly, I had much to learn nine years ago--still do as far as that's concerned, but it's fun for me to go back and read some of those early pages. Some of it makes me cringe. A lot of it makes me smile. 

Regardless, I'm incredibly blessed and grateful to be here, in maintenance mode, nine years later. It certainly wasn't a straight shot, was it? Oh no...not at all.  But a straight shot wouldn't have been good for me.

It's the challenges, the ups and downs--the struggles--the opportunity to grow, stop, pause, look around--take another approach and discover what works well and what doesn't--these are the things that bring the biggest gifts along the way. It's interesting to me how attitude and perspective work. Things once perceived as failures, transform into the most powerful learning opportunities.

Today: I maintained the integrity of my maintenance calorie budget, I remained refined sugar-free, I met my daily water goal, and I stayed well connected with good support.

Sincerely, thank you for reading and supporting this blog all these years!

Today's Accountability Tweets:
























Thank you for reading and your continued support,
Strength,
Sean

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the blog anniversary. You're an inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sean, you DID have it all figured out back in 2008. "Eat less and exercise more." No secret pill, or surgery or anything other than making better choices. It seems so simple and yet we know, how very difficult it is. You remain my inspiration, however, as once again I am trying to lose yet another regain. The struggle never ends....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sean, your food always looks delicious ....with just one exception. Canned green beans??? So unlike you! Sautéed fresh are sooooo much better! Glad I got that off my chest lol. Congrats on your 8 year anniversary. My 10 year healthy journey is coming up in November. Currently down 90 lbs but thinking I may want to try for 100 and the Joy Fit Club.

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. Thank you for your support!






Copyright © 2008-2020 Sean A. Anderson

The Daily Diary of a Winning Loser. All rights reserved.