Thursday, July 27, 2017

July 27th, 2017 A Practice of Learning

July 27th, 2017 A Practice of Learning

Some things I've learned along this road:

We don't do this alone. I don't have to figure it all out. I don't need all the answers. The struggle is not a moral issue. Losing weight doesn't make me a better person. Gaining weight doesn't make me a bad person. The core elements of me--the things that make me who I am, these don't change, regardless of weight, regardless of circumstance. These core elements of me were the same at my heaviest as they are today.  Real happiness doesn't come from a scale, or a goal weight, or a dramatic before and now comparison photo. The truest happiness comes from within, flowing from the core elements... and in this discovery, the external search can stop--because it isn't found in a product, person, place or thing, an outfit, a substance, or money, or anything material.

I once thought getting to a healthy body weight was my secret to happiness. When I "arrived" at my goal weight in November 2010, I quickly discovered I was wrong. And I was monumentally disappointed. This, in large part, eventually contributed to a 164-pound relapse/regain.

I've learned that ultimately, my focus must remain on my continued extraordinary care each day, with a plan of living and a style of eating that I enjoy and willfully embrace--and if it isn't something I enjoy and can embrace, I must change the approach until it is. And when I maintain that focus, the weight loss or weight maintenance, happens as a side effect--a consequence.

I've learned that my food plan evolves. I've learned that it's okay for me to abstain from certain food substances without feeling deprived or somehow cheated. In fact, I've learned more and more about my food addiction and why abstaining from certain food substances actually brings so much life--peace and calm to my world, providing a level foundation for most everything else important to me.

This is about progress, not perfection. It's a daily practice.

I've learned there's no such thing as failure, but there are many learning opportunities.

Some of the most valuable things for me have come from what I once perceived to be the worst failures.

I've learned to be kind to me. I've learned that I must practice each day at extending me the same love, caring, compassion, and kindness I freely give to those I love.

I've learned that I don't know it all. I've learned that I'm no different than anyone else and at the same time, we're all different--and at the same time, we most always relate to the common challenges along this road regardless of our individual circumstances. The things I need may not be the things you need. In other words, what works for me might not work for you--and what is critically important for me might not be necessary for you.

I've learned that I'm never beyond relapse. And that last one there is why...

Today: I maintained the integrity of my maintenance calorie budget, I remained refined sugar-free, I met my daily water goal, and I stayed well connected with support contacts "in the same lifeboat."

Today's Accountability Tweets:




























Thank you for reading and your continued support,
Strength,
Sean

No comments:

Post a Comment

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. Thank you for your support!






Copyright © 2008-2020 Sean A. Anderson

The Daily Diary of a Winning Loser. All rights reserved.