Saturday, January 24, 2009

Day 131 The Clear Boundaries of The Zone

Day 131

The Clear Boundaries of The Zone

Today was a good day. We had Rachel and Neil and two of their kids up for the evening. The company was great, there was plenty of food, and good times. And I still stayed within my calorie limit with ease. I feel like I'm in the zone again. Well, actually I haven't been out of the zone since I started, but during the first 100 pounds there have been many times when the boundaries of the zone were a little blurred. When I'm tested and weak, it's blurred. When I guesstimate most of my calories in a single day, it's blurred. When I reach for a Snickers and then devour it alone in a parking lot like an addict getting a fix, it's really blurred. But as I said yesterday, my resolve is reinforced, I'm ready to take on the second 100 pounds with passion. I'm focusing on how good it feels to be a successful loser, and I have to say it feels so good, I can't imagine throwing it all away at this point. But as confident as these words may sound, I know myself better than anyone. I know that I must always be on guard, I must police my own actions with firm authority. I can't get soft on myself. It's time to work and move along on this journey. Like an alcoholic can't have a drink, I can't allow myself to ever resort to my old behaviors and habits, not even for a little bit. I always lived to eat. That's the one thing I looked forward to all the time. What are we eating? When are we eating? And How much can I eat? And oh boy, it taste so good. But these new habits are teaching me how to properly eat to live, instead of the other way around. I've let my addiction to food steer my entire life and career. Now, I'm back at the wheel, I'm in control now. And I have to say, I didn't realize how bad I was until I started doing good. God willing, there are some great things in my family's future. I don't know what exactly, but I'll tell you this for sure: These positive changes would have never happened had I remained at 505 pounds. I would have died a young man, probably mid to late 40's, maybe sooner. You see, this is more than about any food or exercise. This is much more than trying to look good in an outfit. This is my life. And I know there's nothing that can be done to change the past. But the future isn't written yet, and I'm the commissioned author...It can be a tragedy, or a feel good success story, it's all up to me and my choices. I prefer feel good stories.

A listener of my radio show and reader of this blog e-mailed me today. It was a very nice e-mail asking for my method of losing weight. How was I doing it? She was no stranger to losing weight, she shared that she'd lost 88 pounds before. She lost it by planning out her menus in advance with all of the numbers calculated. The fat grams, the fiber, and many more numbers. I have to say that my hat's off to her. Because that's a lot of work, and it worked for her. And that's all that mattered. My response was the same as it is every time someone ask me that question. And it sounds too simple. I just eat less, staying at 1,500 calories a day, and I exercise. I eat whatever my calorie budget can afford. I don't concern myself with any other numbers, only calories. Now like I told her, my approach might be a little different if I had a serious blood sugar problem or high cholesterol, but thank goodness I don't. I don't know how I don't, it's really a remarkable blessing. But there isn't anything that stands out as extraordinary about my method. It's eating less and moving my body. That's it. That's one of the reasons I refuse any and all weight loss products and expensive plans. I'm proving that they're just not necessary. I'm certainly not the first, thousands of people have gone along this journey before me doing exactly this, but still the diet product industry is a multi-billion dollar business. Millions of people are looking, as I once did, for that easy way out, the magic pill, something to do it for me. I didn't care what it was, if it promised effortless results I was ready to stay up all night watching the infomercial. But like the listener and reader that e-mailed me today, I finally figured out 131 days ago that it was really up to me, it's all up in my head. If a person can get his or her head on straight and really confront their own behaviors and habits head on, then losing weight and transforming into the healthiest, happiest version they can be becomes possible. I've learned there's no room for excuses or blame. It's all on me. I make the decisions for me. I make all the choices that will decide my success or failure. Good night and...

Good Choices,
Sean

No comments:

Post a Comment

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. Thank you for your support!






Copyright © 2008-2020 Sean A. Anderson

The Daily Diary of a Winning Loser. All rights reserved.