Thursday, February 9, 2017

February 9th, 2017 Mental Permission

February 9th, 2017 Mental Permission

Weigh-Day has always been an event for me. I don't own a scale and I like it that way. If I owned one, I'd likely be on it way too often. If I weighed too much, I might start making decisions based on the natural fluctuation of the scale--and just as the scale can be wonky, these scale based actions would be wonky too. Instead of chasing the scale, I'm choosing to bring that energy into my daily plan. Because if I continue doing that, the scale will take care of itself. Does that make sense?

The weigh-day event requires a special trip to my doctor's office where I can weigh on the same scale, every time. I hadn't weighed since December 14th when I checked in at 205.0 -a maintenance weigh-in with a minuscule two-tenths of a pound gain. Almost two months between weigh-ins isn't ideal for me--so I've decided I'll weigh once a month. Every four weeks is better.  Today the gain was a little more.


I'd love to say that a 2.2 pound gain doesn't bother me in the slightest. I mean really, it's still within a nice range. But it did, a little. I think mainly because I've created so many reasons to feel bad about my inconsistent (and sometimes non-existent) workout schedule--especially over the last couple months--and anything that I feel isn't up to my best effort, like sleep schedule and time management skills, eating too late--and maybe, just maybe, it's time to admit their effects on me. Tight maintenance weigh-ins over the last year have given me mental permission to remain in denial about those things that seem to challenge me. A 2.2 pound gain over the last two months certainly isn't the end of the world--and I'm not making it bigger than it needs to be-- I'm simply saying, maybe it's just enough to encourage me in a more productive direction with these other elements. 

I've got to reel it in. Are there improvements to be made? Yes. Am I working on those things? Of course. Is maintenance mode going really well? YES! I suppose it's fairly normal, at least for me-- to feel the twinge of "gain-pain." But when I lay it all out on the table for inventory purposes, I must acknowledge all the good--all the consistency--and the very blessed position I'm in and have been in for awhile. I'm grateful. I love being here. 

Today: I maintained the integrity of my maintenance calorie budget. I remained refined sugar-free. I met my daily water goal. I stayed well connected with amazing support. And I enjoyed a combination stair-master/elliptical workout at the YMCA.

Thank you for reading and your continued support,
Strength,
Sean

2 comments:

  1. Any gain always seems to be painful. I'm totally onboard with your approach and philosophy to scale and weight management. I lurk here most days and rarely comment. I'm so pleased for your continued success

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sean, you are still doing fine! Regarding eating too late...I know it's all the fad now to intermittently fast and eat within a certain window, and now some "experts" are telling us not to eat at night because it messes up our circadian clock. Well Sean, I've tried it all, and honestly, I didn't start losing consistently again until I gave up all that rubbish and really tightened up the calories. I like to eat at night, and I'm losing more weight now than I did when I made sure to eat earlier and not have tight control over calories. I now do what is called Reverse Tracking, because I am a nighttime eater. I like a late dinner and a snack. I start my "diet day" at 5 p.m. and finish it at 5 p.m. the next day. And so on. This way you start with all your calories in the evening, and if you don't mind eating lightly during the day, it really works out. For me, I found out the hard way it's the calories that count in the end...no matter when you eat them.

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. Thank you for your support!






Copyright © 2008-2020 Sean A. Anderson

The Daily Diary of a Winning Loser. All rights reserved.